1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview advice

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by daisyemerson, Jun 6, 2017.

1. daisyemerson

daisyemerson New commenter

Hi,

I've been offered an interview for a science teacher position after completing an observation lesson at a school. The interview will also include an in-tray exercise.
    What should I be expecting?

2. shaunveasey

shaunveasey New commenter

Basically, you'll be given a variety of different emails/letters and you will have to prioritise them and possibly note down actions. For example, a letter from a parent complaining about how their son's book hasn't been marked all year would be prioritised over an email from a parent asking about revision guides. You would then also list who you would refer it to (HoF, tutor, head of house/year, etc) and what you would do.
    Hope that helps.

3. wroberts3

wroberts3 New commenter

Sorry, I'm not offering help, as I've never had this experience. I just wanted to add that I'd be very interested to hear an update from you afterwards as to what you were asked to do, since I've never come across this for a solely classroom-based position. Sounds interesting!

4. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Be advised, it may be nothing like this.

Could be a data exercise. E.g look at the numbers for this class and explain what actions need taking (e.g extra provision for girl's maths etc...)

Could be as assessment activity. Read this child's writing and advise what his individual next steps should be etc...

The possibilities are joyful and endless...

5. daisyemerson

daisyemerson New commenter

Thanks for all the feedback. In the end I had to annotate a lesson presentation that was printed out showing how I would adapt it for a high ability and a low ability student with dyslexia. Wasn't as bad as I though!!