1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview advice

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by KR10, Jan 17, 2016.

1. KR10

KR10 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I have an interview coming up for a school in Thailand and in preparing for the interview I have been reading a number of threads on here. A few recommend taking a portfolio to interviews which isn't something I'm familiar with.

I'd be interested to hear people's opinions on this: is this something which may make a candidate stand out or an unnecessary extra? Haven't been asked to take/prepare anything by the school interviewing me but realise this doesn't mean it isn't a good idea! And if a good idea - what sort of things should it include? I've looked at examples of teaching portfolios online and they seem very detailed - more than I'd expect there to be time to look at in an interview - and included CV (school already has this from my application) and statement of teaching philosophy just for starters. Most were long enough to have an index. Would it be worse to take a portfolio that didn't meet expectations than not have one at all?

I'd also welcome any interview advice generally - am an experienced teacher but have very little interview experience.

Many thanks in advance!

2. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

I think that this is a little bit like University applications. If you are asked for one reference, send one, the Uni won't look at other stuff as they do not have time. You have done a lot of the hard work by getting the interview, the school feel that you may be appropriate for them and now want to have a face to face meeting just to see if there is anything glaring which might make you "not fit". If, the application process asked you for a portfolio or you have been asked to go armed with a 2 year plan to show how you are going to increase literacy or staff retention then by all means do so. Other than that my advice is turn up early, look keen and answer all the questions to the best of your ability.

Good luck,

Perce