1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview Advice

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by LaraWilson92, Jan 9, 2016.

1. LaraWilson92

LaraWilson92 New commenter

Hello!

Thankfully made the second round of the interview process and just wanted to ask some advice before the next interview.

Firstly, I know it might sound silly, but part of the interview day involves meeting the rest of the department and I just wondered if anyone had any advice on how to approach that? I'm rather friendly and sociable but I never really know how sociable to be in those situations...anyone have any advice or conversation starters or suggestions?!

Secondly, I hope to gain a role at the school, however it is my first interview and I am incredibly nervous-even if it is only going to last around three hours. Yes I've met the head of the school and department but still panicking, any tips?

Finally, and most importantly, I've been given some data to do with the children I am going to teach. But for some reason two people on the seating plan, aren't on the register? Also, on the register there are some comments regarding the pupils individually, and some male pupils have been referred to as she and vice versa...would you point this out? is it a trick?!

Thanks in advance!

Lara

2. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Good luck!
    Theo will be along soon to give you the best advice.

3. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Those on the seating plan may have left and the register hasn't been updated, or they've just arrived!Take the view they'll be there.

Male and female mixed up? Frustrating. If the comments are about specific children read them. It's not a trick, just sloppy. But I wouldn't say anything on the day.

Regarding meeting the department, be friendly and be yourself. Staff generally start conversations with candidates (I know I do, usually asking "have you had a good day so far?" ). Just pick up the conversation. I spent 15 mins talking to a candidate about films we'd seen, and a result she relaxed. Good luck!

marlin and LaraWilson92 like this.
  4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done for getting that interview - you have already impressed them!

Some good points above from @CWadd, so start there. Don't mention any possible errors (remember John Wayne's real name was Marion . . .). Be friendly with the other colleagues, but not too informal. I have heard candidates too informal in their language and making (doubtless out of nervousness) jokes that are inappropriate. They are not yet your best friends!

Then look at the general interview advice. I have included links not relevant to you for the benefit of other posters.

3. Preparing for Interview I suggest that you read these in this order

Help, I've got an interview!*** The basic advice ***

Teaching an observed lesson at interview

Using mind-mapping for interviews*** The best-loved advice ***

Tell us about yourself - dream or nightmare question?*** Read and note this ***

Daft Interview Questions

What shall I wear to the interview?

Interviews – making a positive first impression

How do you decide who to appoint?

What excuse can I give for going to interview?

Child Protection: the questions, NOT the answers

A typical Child Protection Policy

Two interviews and a dilemma

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

SLT interviews - possible questions

In-tray exercises. Deputy Head

Assistant Head interviews

General interview questions

Questions to ask at the end of your interview

We have a very nice tradition that when you actually get a job, you start a brand-new thread (not adding it to this one - a brand-new thread) where you told us your good news. You call it Dear Theo - I got that job! and this gives everyone a chance to congratulate you. It also gives them hope and inspiration for their own jobseeking, to see you successful.

If you see one of these threads, make sure you congratulate people!

So I will end by saying that we look forward to seeing your Dear Theo - I got that job!

Best wishes

marlin and LaraWilson92 like this.
  5. LaraWilson92

Thanks for the advice @CWadd and @TheoGriff I thought that maybe by pointing out the errors, it would show that I've paid attention to the register sheet but actually they could think i'm trying to be smart and I really don't want to give a bad impression!

I'm just so nervous, yes I teach classes all the time as I am currently doing my teacher training but this interview lesson has me terrified!

Will let you know how it goes via that new thread!

Thanks,

Lara

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

LaraWilson92 likes this.
  7. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

BREATHE!!!

You will be nervous - it is a big thing! But relax, and look upon it as part of the learning curve. You are a professional; you are preparing well; you are seeking professional advice.

One other tip - night before, do relax. Have a bath, read a book, maybe go to the gym. Don't stay up planning and planning until 2am - you'll be frazzled.

GOOD LUCK!

LaraWilson92 and marlin like this.
  8. LaraWilson92

Yeah I plan to just get everything done by 9pm. Just trying to get a really good lesson plan done! I do love English but it does open up far too many possibilities!

You're right,it is a learning curve regardless of what happens, and I guess if I just do my best then I can't complain!

Thank you!

9. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

That's all anyone can ask.

Whatever happens, take it in your stride.

And remember - if you get it, start a new thread titled "Dear Theo - I got that job!"

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Lara - look at your conversations - click on your avatar top right.

Best wishes

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

And another one from me, @LaraWilson92 .

Only just realised - is that your real name?

In which case you need to get it changed. Your username I mean, not your real one!

You cannot change your username yourself, you will need to get one of the TES Forum team to do it for you. Choose an alternative name and check if it is already in use. The fastest way to do this is to start a conversation with @TheoGriff (but inserting your choice of name!) to see if the autocomplete comes up for that name.

Then contact the team via TES.Community@tesglobal.com

Best wishes

12. LaraWilson92

Hello Theo,

No its not my real name! Its just an alternative name I use when I sign up to certain websites.
    Is it still okay to keep it?

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, that's fine. Just didn't want you to go into the interview and be asked Are you the Lara Wilson who was posting X on the TES Forums the other day?

;)

Have you seen my post on your thread in English? Where I explain why I deleted your post?

Best wishes

14. LaraWilson92

Yeah I've seen that post-sorry! I'm new so getting used to the rules!

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No rule, just wanting to make it as good as possible for you!

Best wishes