1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview advice

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by PARTALOA, Oct 10, 2015.

1. PARTALOA

PARTALOA New commenter

Dear Theo, I've been lucky in getting an interview for a primary Yr3 vacancy. I'm a Secondary MFL & English Teacher. I have taught lots of different subjects as I was a supply teacher for the last 2 years. So, I think maybe that has helped my chances of getting an interview. Could you offer me any advice for what I may expect at the interview

2. cat2611

cat2611 Occasional commenter

I think you will need to answer questions about:
    - safeguarding
    - differentiation
    - behaviour management
    - your strengths
    - your weaknesses
    - why you've applied to that school
    - your best lesson
    - what you do if children don't make progress
    - if you have any questions for them. I always ask a question that is related to the school's area for development

I hope that helps.

melbanks likes this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo @PARTALOA and well done for getting that interview!

It's a good job that tomorrow is not a work day - you may need the spare time to read everything I am about to give you . . . :)

Cat has given some interesting areas for questions above . . . I'm not sure that strengths and weaknesses are still asked, very last decade! But of course actually you cannot tell what will come up, except CP and Safeguarding, which may not appear to be about that, so be careful.

My articles cover a whole range of things that you may wish to consider, including what to ask at the end. :)

Below you have (I hope!) Links to the newly-transferred advice articles from old-TES. Some of them are not relevant to you, but I am including them all for the benefit of other posters.

Warning!

I have created links to these articles, but have not yet been able to go into them and check/change any internal links. So some internal links may no longer work on nu-TES.

Help, I've got an interview! *** The basic advice ***

Teaching an observed lesson at interview

Using mind-mapping for interviews *** The best-loved advice ***

Tell us about yourself - dream or nightmare question?

Daft Interview Questions

What shall I wear to the interview?

Interviews – making a positive first impression

How do you decide who to appoint?

What excuse can I give for going to interview?

Child Protection: the questions, NOT the answers

A typical Child Protection Policy

Two interviews and a dilemma

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

SLT interviews - possible questions

In-tray exercises. Deputy Head

Assistant Head interviews

General interview questions

Questions to ask at the end of your interview

On Old-TES we had a very nice tradition that when you actually got a job, you started a brand-new thread (not adding it to this one - a brand-new thread) where you told us your good news. You call it Dear Theo - I got that job! and this gives everyone a chance to congratulate you. It also gives them hope and inspiration for their own jobseeking, to see you successful.

If you see one of these threads, make sure you congratulate people!

So I will end by saying that we look forward to seeing your Dear Theo - I got that job!

Best Wishes

4. PARTALOA

PARTALOA New commenter

Thank you for your advice

5. PARTALOA

PARTALOA New commenter

Thank you

6. kimberleyanddarren

kimberleyanddarren New commenter

Has anyone ever asked about pay at the end of an interview? It is something I have wanted to know about, but I'm not sure I would have the bottle to bring it up at the do you have any questions for us point. Are there any other good alternatives? Usually I say no I don't have any questions but I would like to add my thanks for giving me the opportunity to meet you and some of your children

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter