1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview advice

Discussion in 'Music' started by emillia1, May 22, 2011.

1. I have an interview on thursday and I am completely at a loss what to teach. I have to teach a 20 minute lesson, on absolutely anything I want, to a group of able year 8's. The problem is they don't teach music at the school at the moment, so the pupils won't have any experience of music at a secondary level. There aren't any resources for me to use either. Its an all boys school too.

I am tempted to do something with rhythm, and explore body percussion. I don't know if this is a good idea or not though. I am a PGCE student atm so am going to ask my tutors advice too, but thought I would get some ideas from here.

Thanks!

2. v12

v12

Do you know how many will be in the class?
    If it's, say, 15 boys - you could take in 15 pairs of drumsticks and teach them some paradiddles and mamma-papas before inviting them to develop and demonstrate their own tricky exercises.
    They would love it!
    Don't forget the mnemonic EDIP - Explanation, Demonstration, Imitation and Practice.
    If you aren't able to borrow something suitable from your PGCE department, I reckon you can buy cheap drumsticks for £1 a pair - a good personal resource to hold, anyway!

3. v12

v12

NB.
    Use the table-tops as the drums - forgot to mention that bit!
    I used to do this when I worked in a boys school, and it was always a popular project.

4. brookey1970

brookey1970 New commenter

Yes, I'd do drumming if they haven't done much singing. Singing can be v impressive but if they're not up for it you have problems. I wouldn't necessarily go for paradiddles. You could make it visual/physical by teaching them a simple exercise which calls for arms-above-heads here and there, and lad-friendly chanting - in the manner of the Haka ... but standing behind tables with sticks. They would enjoy making up their own performances. Ensure you clarify the success criteria. If you have a full class, get some cheap plasticky placemats to reduce the noise level during practice. Good luck!

5. Beat-boxing is great fun too.
    You don't need to be very good at it for it to be a success either. There are tonnes of videos about it on youtube. Also, recently there was a T Mobile advert with a whole load of a cappella "instruments" (I think it's called Welcome Home).
    Good luck!

6. What kinda school don't teach music at sec?
    I would drop out of the interview.

7. Do you really want this job as you are going to struggle from the word go if you get the job?
    No resources........all boys........no secondary musical experience?

If you are really up for the challenge then you need to take it right back to basics.
    Body percussion is good if you are confident enough to maintain positive behaviour ,as with no recent practice in the classroom of music -making some might just go a little OTT!

Consider what they last did .....possibly a simple well known song, pitched in a suitable managable key build on that with some basic rhythm, body percussion.
    Best of luck