1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview Advice

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by MessyFairy246, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Hello, I have recently had an interview for an nursery and have managed to get the 2nd stage. For this I have been asked to complete a 30 minute activity, for children aged 3-5 years old and was suggested a story.
    I have narrowed it down to a choice of two books and these are reading SHHH by Sally Grindley, or The very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle.
    • For shhh I was going to start by practising the word shhh with the children and then reading the story, after this I would get the children to sequence the story by asking questions such as: What did we see first?
    • The main ideas for Caterpillar was to read the story and also use sequencing, counting and recount the fruit and doing some colouring in of a caterpillar or butterfly etc.
    The main issue is i would rather do shhh as it is less widely done however I am struggling to find objects for a story sack and other activities to fill up the 30 minutes. Additionally I feel I could plan for the educational value more with hungry caterpillar. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on what the other activites could be with shhh? Or should I go with the hungry caterpillar?
    Thanks in advance.

2. I don't know the book SHHH, but would just say that whichever you do avoid colouring in activities, banned in most nurseries I have worked in!

3. Hey, thanks for your reply. The book shhh is loosely based on jack and the beanstalk, where you go through a giants castle but you need to keep quiet so dont wake him up, it ends with you being chased by the giant and you just close the book, it has flaps as well with pictures underneath, based on the text. I wasnt aware about colouring in, so thanks for warning. I have got some other ideas, such as doing a butterfly print or making a caterpillar?

4. I would go with SHHH as it is, as you mentioned, less well known.This is something that might help!
    Vhttp://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/news/713972/Hold-fort/?DCMP=ILC-SEARCH

5. Shhh is a great book! I had forgotten I had it and now I'm definitely going to do the tabletop map of the story suggested in the nurseryworld link. I think that would make a great 30 min interview lesson..