1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview advice (yes, another one!)

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by cally1980, May 11, 2011.

1. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Sorry, I know there are tons of these threads but in my defense this is my first ever!

I have to do a 20 min activity for a KS2 Class (dont know which year group) which encourages children to develop ambitious language. Poetry immediately sprang to mind as a medium to get some fab language and so my L.O. is To develop a descriptive poem based on 'The Magic Box' (Im a massive Pie Corbett fan and this is one of his activities - but is it too common?).
    Super quick starter - Synonym pairs. I will prepare 30 words, 15 of them wiill be standard adjectives, the other 15 will be more impressive synonyms. Each child must pick a card and then walk around the class to find their synonym pair. Briefly discuss which word would be more impressive in a piece of writing/why to encourage them to uplevel.
    Main - Read 'The Magic Box' & discuss impossibility of items/use of senses - Paired work - what else could go into the box? Share ideas. Use same opener from Poem (I will put in the box...) to create a shared piece of writing - get children to write descriptive sentences for each item suggested on w/b's and we choose the more appropriate/descriptive from a range of people to produce our poem, encouraging children to uplevel vocab as we go through (first suggestion never best etc). I have a decorative box that I am thinking of taking in to help stimulate ideas...
    There wont be time for a plenary in a 20 min session, is it ok to leave it out? Will a version of this lesson have been done to death? Should I go for something more original? This is literally a first thought as I only found out today so feel free to be brutal!

2. Pie Corbett activities are always good to adapt for this kind of thing. I often use them for 15-20 mins with my year 6s and it has improved their writing dramatically.

3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Thanks, ive fleshed it out a bit now and am happy with where I can see the lesson heading!