1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview advice - Reasons why we work to work abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by llutas, Jan 22, 2016.

1. llutas

llutas New commenter

Hi, I am looking for some advice. I have a preinterview phone call on Sunday from a school in Dubai. The phone interview is to gather some further information on both me and my family circumstance and to explore why my husband and I want to work abroad.

We have many reasons why we want to work abroad, but I am wondering what reasons a school would want to hear or not hear!

Many thanks for your advice.

2. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Hello llutas,

Tell us what your reasons are for moving abroad and we can help you with which are the ones a school might want to hear.

Can you give a hint regarding which school?

3. llutas

llutas New commenter

Thanks for your response. There are many reasons including wanting to experience some adventure, and something different. We want to be mortgage free, to travel and possibly save. We would like our children to experience some of the facilities at the schools, which aren't available here. We would love the new experience and the sunshine. Also to add a new dimension to our careers.

Any advice is welcomed.

Thank you

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Generally I would say take the following approach:
    1. The first reasons you mention should be in relation to the school 'We can see that Bloggs Academy has a great reputation and offers lots of opportunities as well as helping me develop as a teacher'
    2. Don't give negative reasons, or reasons why you want to leave the UK e.g. "I find the workload in UK oppressive" "I find it demoralising having to face disciplinary challenges on a day to day basis" "I am fed up of the rain"
    3. Say something like "Having looked at the schools website, I feel that I can make a significant contribution towards maintaining it's high standards, in particular X, Y and Z"
    4. Assume that you will have to work hard and don't say anything about workload in UK or about expecting an easy time in an overseas school.
    5. Think carefully about how you word the personal reasons about travel etc e.g. "I would like the opportunity to travel as I feel it will contribute to my knowledge and experience within the classroom"
    6. Don't mention monetary aspects e.g. "I need to pay my mortgage/debt" "I like the attractive salary which you offer"

Hope this helps

Anon (2018) likes this.
  5. llutas

llutas New commenter

Thank you Stopwatch - that is a great help! Fingers crossed. Thanks again.