1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview advice please - current educational issues in Primary

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Madspanna, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Hey all,

I have an interview for an early years pgce and am likely to be asked about current educational issues. I have read numerous articles on here for inspiration and have some vague ideas, such as the primary curriculum and planning for various abilities. As it's an early years course and I currently work in an early years setting I thought I would discuss Learning Journals and observations, and whether we should have more time for interacting with the children - is this relevant for early years teaching? Are there any current issues that I should be aware of that are likely to come up? Thanks, I'm dreading it!

xx

2. Hey all,

I have an interview for an early years pgce and am likely to be asked about current educational issues. I have read numerous articles on here for inspiration and have some vague ideas, such as the primary curriculum and planning for various abilities. As it's an early years course and I currently work in an early years setting I thought I would discuss Learning Journals and observations, and whether we should have more time for interacting with the children - is this relevant for early years teaching? Are there any current issues that I should be aware of that are likely to come up? Thanks, I'm dreading it!

xx

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The findings of the review of EYFS is due for publication early in the spring
    Dame Clare will provide a final report on the EYFS review in spring 2011. The Government will then consult on any proposed changes before they take effect from September 2012.
    The review will cover four main areas:

* scope of regulation – whether there should be one single framework for all Early Years providers
    * learning and development – looking at the latest evidence about children’s development and what is needed to give them the best start at school
    * assessment – whether young children’s development should be formally assessed at a certain age, and what this should cover
    * welfare – the minimum standards to keep children safe and support their healthy development.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

try posing on the early years forum

5. I am currently going through the process and friends have also, make sure you know what going on in the news, new legislation i.e. White Paper 2010: Importance of Teaching, this indicates what the new coalition government plan to do. Also mke sure you have knowledge on behaviour in schools, how it is managed etc, Every Child Matters is essential in schools and esential for teachers to know. Know why you want to be a teacher, learn about literacy etc also about SEN how to include them, how would you adapt your lesons to meet needs and also know what SEN is. For you learn the EYFS inside and out and there are articles that are discussing the issues now in particular the telegrapgh/TES/BBC news etc. Look on the DFE website also and teachres tv to give you extra help. That it really they will only ask you a few questions on important aspects such as behaviour etc. But it important to know bits of everything so you are prepared. Hope this helps and good luck.

6. show why you want to work with very young children. Have you any experience of them? This is perhaps more important than specific knowledge of how schools work. As an early years teacher you have many distinct and different options of working with young children. If you are impassioned about young chldren, their life chances, their development from birth to eight, then say so. The rest, the 'how to' you are there to learn anyway, show them the 'why you want to'.

7. I am looking at educational issues for Primary GTP interview, can you suggest areas? Have looked at Phonics and government proposals to bring out new primary curriculum in 2012. Behaviour and boring lessons are topics have notices any other major issues I am missing? Thanks!