1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview activity for EYFS/KS1 Teaching Assistant, advice please!!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by jodymarie_sowden, Oct 14, 2016.

1. jodymarie_sowden

jodymarie_sowden New commenter

Hello all,

I've got an interview coming up for an EYFS/KS1 TA job with a CofE Primary school. It's actually my second time interviewing for this school! Basically, the reason for my first failure was down to the interview activity.

We were given a box of resources; play dough, teddy bears (for counting), string, wool etc. and were asked to come up with a numeracy task for a couple of students in KS1. I found it very challenging as I haven't had much experience in mainstream Primary, which is why I'm applying! I ended up doing a division activity, putting the bears into 2 circles made out of play dough, asking the students to count how many were in each group. The feedback given to me was I didn't take the activity far enough, as the students got it pretty quickly.

I'm wondering if there is anywhere I can look for activity ideas for KS1?? I won't know what exactly will be asked of me this time until I get there, whether I will be asked to prepare for a numeracy or a literacy one. It's hard to grasp what to do with such little guidance.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do, or where I could look to get some ideas?

Thank you!

2. Trekkie

Trekkie Occasional commenter

Congratulations on getting an interview!

Any activity for EYFS is going to be very different from Year 2. Have a look online at the NC for Maths and English,and check out the school website. You may find their Calculation Policy and other useful info that may help you tailor your activities to the school.

Best to come up with some ideas yourself and then post them here. I'm sure other posters will give you their thoughts/comments. Pinterest has lots of activity ideas that you might be able to modify.

3. jodymarie_sowden

Thank you Trekkie, that's very helpful. I'll look at the NC, the website and do some thinking and then post some ideas up!

4. jodymarie_sowden

How about this for an activity idea? Multiplication by Repeated Addition.

I start off with 2 objects, another 2, another 2, another 2 and then a final 2. I ask; "As an addition, we have 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 2. Let’s see what that equals by counting the 2’s. It will equal 10.

How many 2s are there? We’ve got 5. So we could say that 5 twos are 10. 5 twos, using multiplication, we can say 5 x 2 = 10".

I then repeat that with a couple more using different numbers, that will equal 3 x 4 or 4 x 5, asking them the same kinds of questions.

To take it further, I then ask them to use the objects that they have to help them work out questions. So I'd say something like "4 threes are___". Then they would have to use the objects, put them into 4 groups of three and then count them up at the end to see what they get. I could then check their understanding by asking them how we write that as a multiplication. 4 x 3 = 12.

Does this sound like it's on the right lines?