1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview activities

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by giddyG2001, Mar 20, 2012.

1. giddyG2001

giddyG2001 New commenter

Hi everyone, I have an interview on Thursday and as part of it I have to do a 10min reading activity with 4 year 3 or 4 children and I wanted to post up a few ideas I had and ask for your honest opinions, even if they're bad, I'd rather hear now than after the interview! Also, if anyone else has any ideas or similar experiences, I'd really appreciate any further help:

Activity 1 - a picture book such as Giraffes Can't Dance (or something similar) with certain rhyming words blanked out. Give the children these words and get them to match them to where they should be Eg The cat sat on the BLANK - the child with the word MAT would put it in the blank space

Activity 2 - a bingo game where they each have 9 words, and every time they think they hear or see one in the book, they get a counter. The first to get all 9 shouts BINGO.

Activity 3 - having 3/4 different books and getting them to match the titles and blurbs on the back to the books.

Personally I think activity 3 might be the best as it doesn't involve reading a whole book and seems a little different. But as I said, please feel welcome to give me your honest opinions. Thanks in advance!

2. <font size="3" face="Times New Roman">What reading level are you aiming is it a whole class activity and
    you are going to show you have Differentiated? My current placement is with a
    year four class and the majority of them would find activates 1 and 2 too easy.</font>

<font size="3">Last term I took half my placement class for a reading activity
    and was told the choice was mine regarding how I delivered the reading
    activity. I read a chapter of a Horrid Henry book (both boys and girls love
    Horrid Henry at my placement) and got them into two groups and asked them to
    act out the chapter but change the setting. Henry was playing a board game and
    accused someone of cheating. One of the groups of children set the scene at a
    park where someone was playing rugby when the rest were playing football. </font>

<font size="3">Hope this helped. I have my first uni interview in the morning,
    (Wednesday) I&rsquo;ll post and let you know what happened after.</font>
    </font>

3. MizUnderstood

MizUnderstood New commenter

The activities would be far too simple for Year 4. They might find the 'game' fun but what are you trying to teach them? Instead of trying to start with the activity think of what you want them to LEARN then plan the activity to meet this. Just a word of warning - boredom=behaviour issues.
    To be honest though they are looking for how you interact with the children, so things like, use their names, praise them, etc and in your evaluation (I'm assuming you will do a similar type interview to me as we had to do a story based activity) if your activity was too simple then say so, they are looking for reflective practitioners so make sure you are honest in your evaluation both the good and the bad.

4. MizUnderstood

MizUnderstood New commenter

Just realised your interview was today so my input has been no help at all!!
    Hope it went well!