1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview acticity advice Please

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by life2teach, Apr 28, 2011.

1. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

Hello
    I have to do a 10 minute activity (story or song?) which is not long at all. [​IMG] I have no idea where to start and am sooooo nervous. 10 minutes??
    Any ideas would be much appreciated.

2. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

Also I want to make it interactive so I was thinking of a story or nursery rhyme? Its with the whole class (and remember 10 mins!) so I don't think I can do an activity with bells and whistles. I mainly have experience with Yr 1 and 2 so Im struggling a bit.
    Many thanks (again)

3. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

Sorry for the wrong spelling it is meant to say ACTIVITY. My keyboardis going hay-wire

4. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Read a story that you love
    I love "The Aliens are coming"
    Read the story that you love and you won't got far wrong.

5. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

Thank you for your reply. I guess Im nervous as 10 mins is not long.
    I was thinking to do a story and include props. I also have a related short game as back up in case the story goes quickly. I am going to do a lesson plan for the activity and say how I would link it to other areas of provision/learning. This is not required but I think it will be OK, wont it?

6. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Yes
    that is the way to do it. Also think about the times when you have had to settle a class or group - the children will be on good form because you are a treat for them, they love new people reading stories and taking interest in them and therefore will be on best behaviour but do start with the patter that you yourself use - a few seconds just to maintain control - good listening cards to hold up would also impress - eyes looking, ears to listen, sitting nicely
    as you read and if you feel comfortable - don't ask questions but do stop at a reasonable point and engage them, with comments of your own (this comes from Every Child a Talker - and I cannot remember the name of the strategy - in Here COme the Aliens I would stop at the food page and say "I don't like to eat worms!" - pretty soon everyone in my group is talking about what they do and don't like. Enjoy this response to the story!
    At the end of the story I shake hands with the children (they have saved planet Earth after all!) and sometimes give out invisisble medals...
    a few extra minutes sing Five little men in a flying saucer or generate some rhymes (it is a rhyming text) saw four more floor war tore gore etc. Only do this quickly and lightly there is nothing to gain from overlabouring rhymes I find but twill please the observer
    or have a washing line and pegs and peg up one sentence eg "The aliens have gone."
    activities in planning
    draw an alien describe your alien make an alien or robot make a spaceship have a role play area read about planets information books make stars and planets talk about heroes and rescuers have glitter and stars in water tray can't think of anything for the sand tray because I never can then there is revolting food which takes you down a whole another road
    don't forget parent partnership - question table -
    it is only ten minutes so - try and enjoy it - children like high energy fun people and will respond to you if you are enjoying yourself.
    Good luck

7. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Take some photos or evidence with you from other jobs - even if you never show the interviewers it makes you focus on what you know and can do and will help if you dry up in interview - a mini portfolio - pictures will do.

8. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

Thank you sooo much for your help and advice. I have a portfolio and just need to update it. This is my first interview actually so lm trying to prepare as much as possible. I have chosen a story and have an activity im happy with. Many thanks