1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview- a Q&A session with a group of the pupils- has anyone else had this in an interview?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Emmamartinez1507, Jan 24, 2012.

1. As above really!! Wondering if anybody has had a Q&A session with pupils in an interview before? What sort of questions to expect etc ?

2. As above really!! Wondering if anybody has had a Q&A session with pupils in an interview before? What sort of questions to expect etc ?

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I wouldn't worry overly. It happens at our place. Pupil voice and all that. They will have been carefully steered and their questions carefully edited. They will probably be along the lines of 'how will you make learning exciting?' and 'how will you help us behave?'
    What they're really thinking is 'is he/she going to be so strict I that I will barely be able to move?'
    They will of course be asked their opinions of the candidates, but these will have little bearing on the decision to appoint. Children invariably make appalling decisions in such instances (because they're children), usually based on whether they like the candidate and how strict they think they're going to be.
    Mainly a box-ticking exercise as well as making the children feel as if they're involved, even though they're not really. I wouldn't worry about it.

4. naomi58

naomi58 New commenter

School council were involved in interviews at my last school. They were allowed to ask some really nice, informal questions. Asking candidates to tell them a joke, a good idea for a school trip, who was their favourite author, what were their hobbies, what clubs would they start, etc. I sat in on a few and thought it was fab!

5. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

My daughter has actually just been asked to do this at her school. She has been told that she will be given the questions to ask, but she has to take notes about the candidate's body language and things like that. I got the impression it is more about how the candidate treats the children (ie seems interested, is polite and attentive etc) rather than the answers. Good luck

6. Thanks everyone! Shall be an experience I'm sure!!