1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview 8th May.Databases--help me!!!!

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by shell_xs, May 4, 2007.

1. Could do with some advice, I have received a letter when I got home today about the lesson I have to teach on Tuesday. It says I have to teach databases for 50 mins, but it doesn?t say what year group, how many and what ability it is!!! (how silly).

Should I assume it?s either a year 7 or year 8 mixed ability group? Cant phone them now its too late and I have to be there 8.30am Tuesday!

Any lesson ideas and what ability and year group I should prepare for? Im going to be walking in blind!!

Thanks all
    Shell x

2. Could do with some advice, I have received a letter when I got home today about the lesson I have to teach on Tuesday. It says I have to teach databases for 50 mins, but it doesn?t say what year group, how many and what ability it is!!! (how silly).

Should I assume it?s either a year 7 or year 8 mixed ability group? Cant phone them now its too late and I have to be there 8.30am Tuesday!

Any lesson ideas and what ability and year group I should prepare for? Im going to be walking in blind!!

Thanks all
    Shell x

3. I would be very concerned about the organisation of the school if they can not inform you of the age group/experiance of the students you are to teach.

What you could do though is prepare a database and have a range of tasks depending on age, do it could go from a simple query to a more complex action query.

4. Go for a basic database explaination and then task followed with extension task just in case they are above KS3 and need stretching!

5. I had to do an interview lesson to a group of year 8's on databases.

I put together a database containing lots of information about suspected criminals. I then set up 6 crime scenarios and the students had to query the database to find out who was the culprit.

I started off by explaining the db abd use of queries. We went through 1st scenario together picking out key points i.e. height, hair colour etc.

Students loved it. For those that finished I made them make up their own crime scenarios.

If you want a copy of db and worksheet let me have your email and I will send it.

6. Monkey - could I possily get a copy of that as DB is something I'm thin on the ground for for resources - I can email back something else if you want, have lots of stuff sitting on my drives from all my PGCE/NQT collabouration etc so if you're searching for something/low on a particular topic let me know in the email and I'll see what I can dig out :)

Many thanks in advance

HP
    sleekfish85@hotmail.co,uk

7. Email sent.

8. Don't want to sound rude about that crime database but I just did that with year 3s using Access.

I would expect Year 8s to have had a lot of experience with databases - we do do it at primary level a lot.

It also sounds a ludicrous situation to have to teach to an unknown class a one off lesson on databases. Where would you pitch it?

Maybe get them to design a database and think about some of the things that shouldn't be replicated - what tables are needed etc.

9. All I can say is that you must have extremely bright Year 3's for them to understand how an Access database works and for them to interrogate it.

10. Not really - we just created a simple table with a list of attributes.

Played some games in class by extracting children with say blonde hair, female etc

Then explained that the computer could do the same thing.
    Query was already created - i.e. they had to figure out the search criteria (male,female, hair colour, height, age) and then put it in.

But... they did have to read the clues
    They also had to use multiple search criteria
    They had to sort as well.
    Plus some used >+ and etc

They did figure out if they had put the wrong search criteria in.

Don't underestimate what we do in primary - anything to be creative!!

11. Sounds fantastic - if only the primary schools where I live did the same.

I do not underestimate primary schools but can only go by what is done in my area.

I also work in a school where students in year 9 struggle to get to level 4 and the GCSE pass rate is 24%. I am not trying to defend my decision to do the crime database but give background info as to why it was done.

This message is sent with a slight envy as to the ability of your studenst!!! :)

12. On a recent interview I did a practical demonstration of a database, by lining up all the students in the room, and getting them to sort themselves into orders, eg surname, birth month, etc. Also asked them to suggest own search criteria.

THen showed how a database could be used to filter into groups eg all blondes, all females, etc, leading to multiple criteria, and also how to refine a query to lead to one answer. Kids enjoyed moving about - I got the job!

13. Thanks all, monkey246 if you could email the database resources to shell_xs@hotmail.com I would be very grateful..! Have a good weekend, I'll let you know what happened.

Shell

14. Hey good luck! I also did the steve example and got the job. I also got them searching through yellow pages etc for information etc. kids loved it. Go get 'em

15. As someone who is interviewing for a new ICT teacher next week (having failed to appoint last time) may I add some other comments?

The content of the lesson is of minor importance to me. OK, it shows you can plan a 3 part lesson and keep to it. But more important, I want to see how you relate and communicate with the students. I want to see questioning skills, how you encourage all to take part, enjoy and succeed. Whether you are aware of what is going on in the room. How you deal with someone who might give a wrong answer - do you let them down gently and/or praise them for their attempt. I want to see interaction between you and them.

HTH and go for it!

16. thehobbit

thehobbit New commenter

17. GTG

GTG

While you're at it, Monkey, could you send another copy to peter5573@yahoo.co.uk? Thanks in advance.

Wouldn't it be funny if we all got interviewed for the same post and all presented the same lesson?!?

18. I got the job! With recruitment retention too, thanks all again!

19. monalisasmiler

monalisasmiler New commenter

20. I'd be interested in knowing why you didn't appoint.

I've had a couple of calls in the past few weeks for jobs where they didn't appoint from the first shortlist and were scraping the barrel before re-advertising.

I didn't bother with either. I just wonder how they managed to shortlist 4 and not find one suitable teacher.