1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

interventions

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by chrisb240586, Sep 30, 2015.

1. chrisb240586

chrisb240586 New commenter

Hi Ive been put in year 1 this year and so have been given phonics and writting interventions groups aswell as brp readers I have not done interventions before can anyone give me some tips or good websites to get ideas from? Ove done my brp training recently so just got to get to grips eith the mountain of paperwork invovled but what do uou record for phonics and writing?
    Thanks in advance

2. chrisb240586

chrisb240586 New commenter

Excuse all the mistakes my tablet screen is not great snd getting old lol

3. OBakaSama

OBakaSama Occasional commenter

Does your school have a standard phonics plan? The first thing would be to find out if the school has, because that would save you a lot of work in terms of planning activities and progression. (One plan I've used at the school I was at had the lessons finely graded into 'steps', and children were assessed and placed into intervention groups accordingly.) I would imagine your literacy lead would know where to start on this.

http://www.letters-and-sounds.com/

The link is a website which has a lot of resources you can print and use too. It also gives some general ideas for phonics games to use.

In terms of recording phonics progress, unless the school has an actual requirement I would suggest notes on the lesson plan to see what the children are capable of as you go along. Where I was, the children are assessed each half term to check on progress (again, a test which the school had).

As for writing (I assume handwriting or letter formations in Y1), I would imagine the school has a handwriting policy, so I would go with that. Use the phonics letters you are focusing on to inform the children's formations of their letters (if it is the same group, of course). Again, your literacy lead should have this information. I would also make minimal notes as you go along, and correct the children's formations as they write. Their writing can be seen clearly in their other work, and (from my limited experience) I have yet to see a school formally assess children's handwriting.

Sorry can't be of more help. Hopefully others can chime in with more useful information for you.