1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interventions without a TA?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sarah451, Jan 26, 2019.

1. sarah451

sarah451 New commenter

Hello!
    First time visiting the forum, apologies if this has been covered before but I couldn’t find a thread with the same querie.
    I’m an NQT in a small school and have recently been tasked with implementing ‘intensive interventions’ for my year 5 class.
    I am already addressing some knowledge gaps across the class with afternoon interventions where possible but the problem is that I do not have a TA most days. I’m wondering how I can ensure the children will get the learning I know they need outside of regular lessons without another adult there to lead the interventions. Has anyone else managed to create interventions that the children can access mostly independently?
    I’m currently thinking of creating individual revision booklets for them all, to be used when I can find 15/20 minutes here and there.
    Any other suggestions very welcome!

2. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

Could you be released during assembly time to do some? And ask the head/NQT mentor what and when you are meant to be doing - they can't just tell you to do interventions and leave you to get on with it!

3. sebastian_paz1

sebastian_paz1 New commenter

How many students need the extra support? Taking them from assembly is a good idea, or maybe some other lessons, maybe once a week. They can also work with a booklets to take home and work independetly. But, yes, your mentor should be able to guide you can or can not do. Do not be afrai to ask and try!

4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Agree with above post - talk to your mentor. Revision booklets are a good idea (CGP ones for year 5 are pretty good and would save you the job) but gap-filling needs to be taught. Assembly time would be a good idea, a couple of times a week. Or, are there any strong TAs with upper ks2 experience that could be 'borrowed' a couple of times a week in the afternoon?

5. sebastian_paz1

sebastian_paz1 New commenter

Working to create good relationships with other colleagues is not only part of the professionalims that you must profess, but it also can be very helpful. The better you get along with other teachers, the more chances are that someone can come and help you. There are new and difficult challenges that teacher must face every day

6. sarah451

sarah451 New commenter

Assembly time is 15 minutes once a week so I could use that for a group each week, thanks for the idea.
    I will definitely arrange to speak to my mentor tomorrow, they are also the Headteacher so I'll be sure to get advice to get me on the right track. I think taking the booklets home is a great idea to ensure some areas of learning at being covered.
    Thank you for your suggestions!

7. J.M.Powell

J.M.Powell New commenter

Talk to your mentor-it is their role to advise you on this type of thing.

8. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Handing out revision booklets and asking the children to complete them independently really isn’t an ‘intervention’ (though may help on top). You really need some time to teach them yourself (while someone else has the class) or someone else to take the intervention while you teach the class. Definitely raise this with your head.

9. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Difficult to advise because you do not descibe the exact nature of the ' intensive intervention' ? (which to my mind is a 'non term' anyway ) So you need to clarify with the person who has requested this or you will be working in a vacuum ? Agree that an intervention should be something additional to routine practice but crucially it specifically targets an area of need / a gap / an area for development and should be time limited and its success ' evaluated ' but fundamentally you / they need to know what is it you / the setting expects to see as a result of your / their action so it is irrelevant whether there is a TA available or it is you to lead. Encouraging ' independent learning ' is good practice but often very hard to achieve in isolation and no to my mind is a whole school approach and not an ' intervention ' . Accept that you are an NQT but important to understand the rationale behind this demand ? Let us know how you go ?

10. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

Why don't you split yourself in 2 and see if that works? This sounds like an unreasonable request by someone who has absolutely no idea of the practicalities. You need to query this further.