1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interventions that work in your school...

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by sem022, Feb 26, 2012.

1. sem022

sem022 New commenter

Hi Everyone,
    I am a relatively new SENCo and I am looking into the success of our interventions at school. I was wondering if you would post any intervention materials that you feel are successful in your school for children across literacy and maths.
    I would be interested in particular at any spelling programmes that you may use for children that struggle with spelling.
    Any posts or suggestions would be much appreciated!
    Many thanks!

2. What key stage phase are you working in?
    I use Read Write Inc for literacy in both primary and the fresh start RWI in secondary.

3. sem022

sem022 New commenter

Hi,
    I work in Key Stage 1 but I am responsible for co-ordinating interventions right across the school. Do you use Read Write Inc as a whole school approach or specifically as an intervention for those who need literacy support?

4. toe by toe

5. We use an intervention programme called Apples and Pears for spelling. We also use Bear Necessities for reading.

6. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

Literacy - Fischer Family Trust Wave 3, Active Literacy Kit, Nessy Learning Programme
    Maths - Numicon

7. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

<u>Literacy</u>
    • Reading Recovery
    • Fischer Family Trust Wave 3
    • ELS
    • Acceleread
    • Accelewrite
    • Phonographix
    <u>Maths</u>
    • Numbers Count
    • From Counting to Calculating
    • Mind the Gap
    • Springboard

8. Hi,
    I currently rate the following:
    • Toe-by-Toe - for literacy, an oldie but goodie
    • Lexia - for literacy but also great for EAL students I find
    • Maths Framework - for consolidating basic numeracy
    • Blobs Training Manual - for social-emotional issues
    • Talkabout for Teenager - for social-emotional issues
    I have written up some basic plans for them here: https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/SEN-Basic-Literacy-and-amp-Numeracy-Intervention-Plans-6144501/ - based on templates in the following book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beating-Bureaucracy-Special-Educational-Needs/dp/0415441145 - which I recommend to any new SENCo.
    Hope that helps,
    Matt