1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Intervention

Discussion in 'Science' started by Dimebar, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Hello,
    Just a little query and hoping to pick some experienced brains. Our HT has employed a supply teacher to free up some time for intervention for our KS4 groups. We have a few ideas in our minds, but we need to come up with a comprehensive plan for the HT. I was wondering if anyone had any creative ideas of how we best use this time.

2. 1: Sort out coursework - give the teacher a list of who hasn't completed everything and get them taken out of lessons to ensure cwk is complete (research if pupils are dropping subjects or some subjects are just doing revision and see if this time can be used, so they don't miss "proper" lessons - SMT are usually happy for kids to miss your lesson for language orals or sports activities, so get your request in now).
    2: Do you have a re-sit policy? Get supply teacher to support revision.
    3: Generate a list of potential underachievers (especially in the C/D borderline) - get ST to remove these from appropriate lessons and give intensive support. Print out past papers and get 3 kids writing in silence whilst ST talks through answer with one or two pupils (individualised support).
    4: Get ST to make cup of coffee and take round to colleagues - very welcome and makes staff feel valued! [​IMG]

3. We have just stepped up our intervention programme - sadly no extra staffing! We have managed to withdraw students from core PE and IT when they have finished their OCR National work - we also run after school sessions. In one school I worked at, I was employed like the supply teacher and we separated the lower ability boys from the girls. I then taught the boys using a range of activities - small practicals, lots of discussion and little writing. If I could do the same now, I would extend this by splitting the boys (say max 16 in group) into teams of 3 or 4; then introduce an element of competiton into the group - and ask each group in turn to prepapre a summary of the lesson to use as a starter or plenary. They could also be given different exam ques on the same topic to work in goups on their answer and present this back - you could then copy the answers into a booklet for all - thereby providing some written record of what they have done for revision. Must admit, I am envious of your extra member of staff!

4. Thanks for the ideas guys - unfortunately I don't think the HT will approve of tea making. We are grateful for the opportunity, but we are concerned it is a bit of a poisoned chalice, especially after I have found out there is has been some espionage by the new staff. We are under a lot of pressure at the moment.