1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Intervention work ideas - help!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by legoearth, Oct 28, 2011.

1. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

Hi, RAPID is a great programme of resources for reading writing and maths. I'm not sure but I think it's quite expensive though. I've used it with year six with similar problems to your little ones and they loved it!

2. littlelebowski

littlelebowski New commenter

Ooh thanks for the tip! Very useful indeed. I will have a word with the Head about budgets...

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Rapid is a KS2 intervention programme and is very expensive.

4. littlelebowski

I'm sorry, I only just saw these responses. Thanks very much for the advice. I assessed them when they started and have done exactly what rohirrim suggested - perservere. There has been some success from going over and over the same thing - one child told me that lit was spelt l..i..t - the TA and I almost cried! Don't even go with the Ed Psych - our school has seen one in 2 years! Thanks again.

5. littlelebowski

Oops! Don't even GO there!!

6. littlelebowski

Thanks Boomerang. xx

7. We use Lexia, Symphony Maths, Better Reading Programme and Catch Up Numeracy in our Year 2 classes x

8. We use Symphony maths,Numberstars, Starspell, Lexia spelling Programme, Read Write Inc from Ruth Miskin, Fresh Start KS2 english spelling and comprehension.Els. Quite a lot really.

9. We use toe-by-toe.

10. We use Read Write Inc, Letters and Sounds, ELS and Toe to toe (for older children). But often our best resources are the ones we devise, adapt or apply repsoning to the childs interests.
    My advice would be set small targets (a good SMART I.E.P) and focus on these steps what ever they may be.
    Wrap these targets up in engaging play - learning is best when it's fun - i.e. 5 target sounds (or blends) matched to numbers on a dice (6 is free choice). Roll the dice and say the matching sound to move on. If they get it wrong then everyone say it with words that these sounds fit in - 'c' for cat (picture prompts). But child does not move on until the next turn.
    Make the game personal by the children choosing the picture on the board or adding rules to go backwards or forwards a number of jumps.
    Set up a grid (5 x 5) with target sounds put into each box in a random order. Child has to read the sounds in a given time target. Make it fun and rewarding. Expect to do it every day for 5 days getting slowly more accurate. When child can read all 5 sounds choose to 2 to change and 3 to stay the same. This is an old strategy for teaching spellings but it works.
    Finally, a child who is behind in any learning may have missed it the first time round: illness, trauma, glue ear, delay or may just need to learn how to learn (good listening/good asking skills). So your biggest and best resource is the year group who taught them the year before. What do they have on offer?

11. littlelebowski

Thanks for all the useful advice, really appreciate it. [​IMG]

12. bluebell27

bluebell27 New commenter

I do intervention in KS1, During the morning I support in class with literacy and numeracy working with one of the groups (any group not SEN or just Low ability) The class teacher sets this work and I support the group as normal. What I do with this group is reinforce the objective perhaps going over something again (if its numeracy) then give the children cards to place in front of them with I'm OK on one side or 'I need help' on the other. Those that are stuck turn their card over so that I can give a bit of one to one support whilst watching how the others are doing. because I am doing formative assessment I am able to feed back to teacher any children not picking up a concept. The teacher then adds this to her planning sheet for children (either individually or if one or two children) to be supported by me during the week in the afternoon for 10 to 15 mins. I will do this for as long as it takes the child to understand the concept (these are not the SEN children)
    Each half term the teacher highlights children that are falling behind so I timetable them in for small group work or one to one sessions according to their need. For instance we have one EAl child who is in a phonic group fr her ability but we found that her auditory discrimination was weak so was having great difficulty sounding out CVC words despite knowing all her letter sounds. She needed some one to one support during intervention for 10 mins every day basically throwing and catching sounds back and forth to each other until she was able to hear the sounds within a word. She progressed onto reading a CVC word off a card (I use the smart phonic phase 2 word and picture cards and a smart chute where she reads the printed word first, posts the card in the chute and the card comes out with the picture facing up so as well as being fun it is self correcting.
    I managed to get her on a reading book (decodable book 'Dandelion readers')and she is now at the stage where she is working the sounds out in her head more so instead of reading
    (s-i-t sit s- a- m sam ) she is saying 'sit sam sit' with more fluency. I have tried her on the pink reading band with CVC words but at the moment there are too many words for her and it is too tiring but it won't be long now. I think with a child like this is it important they have the one to one as its so easy for them to switch off in a group, Also it has to be consistent -daily 5/10 min sessions.
    For numeracy the teacher chooses one target for a child or small group and that's what I work on each day 10/15 mins for each child/ group. using visual objects then gradually reducing the visual perhaps recording on whiteboards,
    I have another group who are not writing sentences so I support them. It started off really basic such as 'I sat on a pig/pin/etc so very repetitive but building up to independent sentences rather than just copying sentences.
    What we have to do when we support children through intervention in our school is to identify an area that needs targeting. Assess the child before starting, set a time limit for support (6/8 weeks) then have to measure progress after that time, if the child has not made any progress then its back to the drawing board with class teacher to discuss alternative strategies but so far have only had to do this for one child. I think the main thing is 'little and often' we find just supporting a child once a week is not effective (even though you can support more children) its better to set a block to work on specific things and do it daily. After that we change the groups around that need intervention.