1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Intervention teaching at KS1 and KS2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lily_w, Jan 9, 2016.

1. lily_w

lily_w New commenter

I have recently started a job teaching small groups for interventions in English and Maths, which I'm enjoying so far. However, as this role is quite new to me I was hoping for some advice or tips on how to manage it. It's quite a fast paced job as I have several groups per day for 30-45 minute sessions and the school has recently opened so I am given a lot of freedom towards how I manage it as it is a role that is still developing.

The children I teach are Year 1 and Year 3 and the majority are working below age expected levels. I have 6 children in each group and I am trying to follow the teachers' planning so that I cover the same sort of subject but at a lower level. I've been asked to record evidence of the work the children do and I will be doing this in exercise books specific to the intervention. As each session is quite short, I am not sure what to expect in regards to the amount of work produced. It will obviously need to be at a quick pace which is something I need to get used to as I have come from a classroom based teaching role where each lesson was 1 hour+. For this term, I am thinking of concentrating on sentence structure in English and in Maths I will be doing a lot of basic number work. I am not sure if I will have a classroom yet but it is looking likely that I will have a room (but not any ICT resources.)

I would be grateful if anyone could share ideas or advice on how to make the intervention teaching successful. Would like to hear of practical things that worked well or short activities that were successful.

2. Martial_Artiste

Martial_Artiste New commenter

Hi I'm also interested in hearing how other people juggle interventions as often I feel like Jack of all trades, Mater of none!