1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Intervention student voice and closing the gap

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Bexiloumoon, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Bexiloumoon

Bexiloumoon New commenter

Good morning,

I was wondering if I could pick peoples brains about questions to ask for a student voice that I am putting together that will question our under achieving students about why they struggle in certain areas of the language exams. I have compiled a few questions but I just wanted to see if there were some that I had missed that would be obvious to other people?

Also I'm interested to hear how other people have managed to close the gap between Pupil Premium/Boys and non pupil premium and girls? We have closed the gap slightly with our boys but they are still performing a whole grade below our girls and we would really like to close this even further.

Hopefully I can get a good mash of ideas :)

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

We did a student voice questionnaire centred around inclusion a long time ago . If you want I can message you with some key points/ format

Re MFL thus was the subject that most of our students cited as one they had most difficulty with / least engaged with ... several reasons

not relevant to their lives
    a lot of rote learning - for students with poor retention capacity ?
    curriculum delivery / model
    MFL staff- inflexible / lacking empathy ( true )
    confidence
    4 skill areas
    made to do French rather than Spanish ( more relevant marginally /easier )

3. meggyd

meggyd Star commenter

As an Mfl teacher I am going to show my lack of empathy here. Basically tough! Languages are difficult but skills like rote learning have their place even now. We should not be pandering to those kids who are perfectly capable of learning 10 or 20 mfl spellings but prefer using Google translate. It's just laziness. Most people world wide operate in at least 2 languages. People in other cultures manage to memorize huge tracts of religious and historical texts often without being able to read them. Brains need training just like muscles. If you don't stretch and exercise them then they can not perform those tasks. And yes it can be boring but that is life. Training for the marathon is boring, practising piano scales can be boring, lot of jobs are boring ... I could go on. I hope SLT will support the Mfl teachers in getting this important lesson across to their pupils because understanding this really can be life changing.

henrypm0, sbkrobson and pepper5 like this.
  4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I was an MFL teacher and I have not been / will ever be precious about my subject. I have been in the classroom with too many reluctant learners on too many occasions - a miserable experience for both sides of the desk. Yes it changed my life in many ways and I loved my time abroad but if people want to dabble in language learning for all the ‘ right ‘ reasons they can take it up when they are older can ‘t they ? I am sure there are many teachers of world languages who work with enthusiastic, well supported, possibly talented, hard working, engaged students but this has NEVER been my experience. Not sure what success at GCSE in this subject actually demonstrates anyway - a bit like the rest of the curriculum ?

pepper5 likes this.
  5. Bexiloumoon

Bexiloumoon New commenter

Oh i'm so sorry I should have been more clear, I ment the ENGLISH language exams. I had my department head on and just missed out the subject. Really sorry everyone.