1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Intervention Schemes- any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by JRV59, Oct 17, 2015.

1. JRV59

JRV59 New commenter

Hi

We are looking for a intervention schemes for maths/reading/writing and wondered if anybody is using one that is good? We need schemes that can measure progress from start to finish as TAs currently deliver more ad-hoc intervention with direction from the class teacher.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Really depends on the needs of the children. In school we have Rapid-Maths, Writing & Reading. I like the Reading and have used it successfully for a few years. It is for KS2. We also use Dancing Bears (Sound Foundations)which focuses on phonics for reading. This we use 1 to 1 but it can be used in groups.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We use Symphony Maths which is a computer based intervention and produces its own data,
    We have used Bear Necessities and Apples and Pears (spelling) found they work very well and require no preparation.
    Write from the Start and Speed Up handwriting
    We use Magic Belt, Totem, Talisman and Alba books for reading.

4. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

Have you explored the Every Child Counts interventions for both maths, reading & writing?
    I have to admit to being a lead trainer but worth checking out as they are all quality evidence-based programmes. Training available locally depending where you live. You can find your local trainer via the website and make contact or let me know where you're based and I'll let you know.

https://everychildcounts.edgehill.ac.uk/

5. Msz

6. carriecat10

Msz if your link is in response to my post it isn't relevant. I suggest checking details before posting and use up-to-date research and evidence such as EEF

7. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

We use Totem and Talisman too. The children really enjoy the stories and the worksheets are very useful.

8. Msz

Thanks carried at that's the one I was looking for https://educationendowmentfoundation.org.uk/projects/switch-on-reading/ as it questions whether the effect will last (assume this is because international research shows it doesn't)

9. blueskies31

blueskies31 Occasional commenter

We used Numbers Count and First Class at Number at my last school and it made a huge difference for the children involved.

We also used Project X Code too and again, the children made huge progress

10. carriecat10

11. Msz

Of course it does ECAR is based on Reading Recovery

12. couture

couture New commenter

How do you find Rapid- Maths. Does it fit well with the new curriculum and life after levels?

13. couture

couture New commenter

Hello, How do you find Symphony Maths? Does it fit well with the new curriculum and life after levels?

14. Msz

As an intervention it teaches skills rather than closely follow either the new or old curriculum.
    Essentially it's an American programme repackaged with English voices. Pupils like it and it won't allow them to move on until core skills are mastered (so I suppose it fits with the idea of a mastery curriculum). I wouldn't recommend children being left to work through it without skilled support.

15. carriecat10

16. Msz

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  17. Msz

18. carriecat10

19. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

We haven't used it with the new curriculum. When I used it before I worked on the children's gaps. I didn't just work through the books but selected the areas to work on based on the needs of the children after assessment.

20. Msz

As I said I've seen the training materials