1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Intervention Programmes

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by semiemma, May 7, 2012.

1. I work in a F2 class and carry out Intervention programmes for speaking and listening, phonics, numeracy and fine motor skills.
    I carry out interventions every week and plan each activity. I also evaluate each activity so that i know how each child is progressing and what i need to do next to move them on.
    Each child has an intervention book for each of the interventions they have, for example some children have a book for each intervention that they have.
    In the books are pictures of the children carrying out activities, examples of their work and comments on how they are gettin on and what they have done during the activities.

I have now been told that i am making the other teaching assistants look bad and that i will have to do the exact same work as them. I find this unfair as they do not record anything for theit intervention programmes. I also find it frustrating that this has only been bought up now as i have been carrying out this work since September.

2. I work in a F2 class and carry out Intervention programmes for speaking and listening, phonics, numeracy and fine motor skills.
    I carry out interventions every week and plan each activity. I also evaluate each activity so that i know how each child is progressing and what i need to do next to move them on.
    Each child has an intervention book for each of the interventions they have, for example some children have a book for each intervention that they have.
    In the books are pictures of the children carrying out activities, examples of their work and comments on how they are gettin on and what they have done during the activities.

I have now been told that i am making the other teaching assistants look bad and that i will have to do the exact same work as them. I find this unfair as they do not record anything for theit intervention programmes. I also find it frustrating that this has only been bought up now as i have been carrying out this work since September.

3. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

"You are doing too good a job, will you please stop it?"

Good grief!

I am not surprised you are frustrated!

4. OFSTED would love you! Who has said you have to do as the rest of the TAs? Those other TAs need to up their game in my opinion. You are doing exactly as you should be doing!

5. I cant believe that you have been asked to stop! This is what is expected of all TAs where I work.

6. This is ludicrous - all interventions need to be measurable. How else can the school assess the pupils progress? If I were in your position, I would continue as you were and speak to the Inclusion Manager, if not the HT.

7. As an 'inclusion manager' the only evidence I need about interventions is how effective they are- has the child made progress in what you wanted them to make progress in.

I deplore this current fashion for photographing children repeatedly as they are engaged in an activity- it tells me nothing. Ofsted are not interested either- they want hard evdence of the efficacy of interventions.
    All interventions should have an entry and exit assessment - ideally carried out by the person (class teacher/SENCO who decided that they needed the intervention. The rest is window dressing.

8. I think you'll find that they are in the wrong and you are in the right. If ofsted (Or anyone observing or inspecting the work done in class), they will expect records in the form of written work, photos etc; indeed exactly what you're doing.
    The TA's that are objecting to you doing this is probably used to doing minimal work to show how or why they do these things. They are also probably jealous and will do anything to put down the good, professional work that you're doing. Just keep doing the "extras." you'll soon find that they will have to do it and at least you have a head start on them with regards to the work they will have to do!

9. Hello, just wondered if you got paid for this?
    I plan, evaluate and assess my own extra literacy group (including making my own resources) and am given 20 mins a week to do this. The group runs for half an hour a day, 4 days a week so I do most of the planning and resourcing at home and I do all evaluations and assessments at home. I keep just one book for the group of 6 and include similar work to you.
    My issue is that I don't get paid for the time I put in (as,essentially, it's my choice as I feel it to be most beneficial for the adult running the group to plan, evaluate and assess) nor can I plan during school time as I'm needed in class!
    How do others manage?

10. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

We had the same problem, but a group of us got together and flagged it to SLT. We have now been given an additional 20 minutes on top of the 20 that we already had (another assembly time).

11. I don't have time to plan my intervention groups. I have to do my prep at home which can be difficult I volunteer at school and do loads of interventions which I love! But can't be difficult to find time to plan as I work evenings in my other job

12. Hi

I dont get paid for this. I get paid my normal wage every month but i do not get paid for the extra work that is do. I genearlly am doing 2 hours extra a day within work and then i do take work home with me as well.
    I used to get half an hour a week to plan and make resoures but i am now getting an hour a week as i am now working with a new teacher who understands the work that it takes.

Like yourself i find it very benefical to have books to show planning and photographs and examples of the childrens work as it shows progression.