1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Intervention, intervention, intervention

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by mostlyharmless, Mar 18, 2008.

1. It's not even education...

In my current school there seems to be an obsession with intervention. This has moved from year 11 into years 10 as well.
    On its own this is no bad thing; extra resources could/should be allocated to those who may be just underachieving on a grade boundary that may make a big change to their future (and our results).

However, it has gone absolutely crazy. We have a "whole school" intervention list; they have meetings with individual mentors. We have a subject list; they got free revision guides and are badgered about revision. Finally we've suddenly had a "faculty intervention" thrust upon us, without any real idea what this entails.

Not only do I believe this is overkill and is a reaction to the fact that our year 11s seem to be a poor year group, but also we've ended up with 50% of our kids on some kind of intervention and some kids on all three schemes.

Other reasons this is getting to me are:

1. Pupil responsibility. While I don't deny that under the current GCSE system and league tables we will always put ourselves out for those that don't do their coursework until the last possible moment and don't revise until it's too late, I really do believe that these kids need to fail something at some point that has an impact on their life so that they LEARN from it. What happened to the hidden curriculum? My year 11s are going to leave assuming someone will chase after them in their future life, put up with missed deadline after missed deadline and accept lame excuses (I was like that and it really affected me at university.

2. I got accosted today by a pupil and a parent. "Why am I on some kind of list for extra help?" I came across as stupid and unaware as I had no idea what list she'd made it onto (incidently all three), she had no idea what extra help, if any, she was to be given, and I couldn't tell her as I hadn't been informed. I'd just been asked to put some more names forward for another bloody intervention list.

I know this is a long post, but is this really griping anyone else? I'm always going to complain about some aspect of the system and be a grumpy old sod, but I really do think this obsession with intervention is going too far. I fill in some many extra sheets everyday for SEN, round-robins on difficult pupils, work for pupils excluded or internally excluded that I struggle to remember what I did 2 minutes ago let alone something 2 weeks ago.

Yours
    Grumpy-old-stuck-in-the-mud

2. This happens to me too! I thought I was the only one! I am always being asked stuff about lists that I know nothing about! It makes me look really silly and I don't like it and I agree that they need to fail to learn.

3. Have found out today that the "faculty" intervention list was a hoop to jump through. Forms to be filled in to make it look like we've helped them. Extra help; negiligable.

Sums it up really. The system is a farce

4. re

re New commenter

Call me cynical, but isn't it all about the league tables? Heads and deputies commonly move up the salary scale depending on results, so it is in their financial interests to improve results. how to do it? 'Intervention' to make the staff work harder. Result? certain kids sit back, do nothing and expect teacher to practically dictate coursework.

Lazy kids should fail at GCSE, but we are not allowed to let them do so.

5. DonutBoy99

DonutBoy99 New commenter

Post 3, yes league tables. Our Head was seen in class *shock* supporting a science group who, surprise, surprise, are in danger of being the wrong side of the grade C/ D borderline.

Every child matters, but those on certain borderlines matter more than others!

DB

6. I have now decided to document all intervention I use and to use a great deal more intervention.
    Having had a letter of complaint about why a lazy student will not achieve a C at A level it is being made to be my fault. Verbal insistence that a student work harder or focus on what they have been asked to do will no longer be valid, it seems. If parents continue to increase in numbers in their complaints about teachers, we have to protect ourselves with documentation of every intervention activity we engage in.
    No longer teaching in the best way you can with each student, but documenting every weakness and failure to do work so that you are protected.
    It is so sad that teachers are now questioned so much about their competence and their actions.
    Are parents so deluded about their children that they really believe we don't do our best for them?
    Make big lists is my advice and get those letters home and strict IAPs in order, file them away, because you will be grateful you did if you need them later.

Yours,
    Miserable old sod

7. Ah, you have decided that criticism from above matters. You will notice that your pupils have figured out that if you shout at them and they do nothing, your options at sanctions are severely limited. Unless it is your intention to climb the greasy pole in the managerial stakes as a teacher,you will find that if YOU let unwarranted criticsim slide off your back, nothing will really happen to you either.
    My stock response to such criticism used to be, 'I need more CPD, will you send me on a course?'
    Of course they say, 'Errr, yes OK', and then don't because they can't afford it. The next time you say, 'What happened to the CPD you promised?'
    There isn't a next time, as they give up harassing you. I haven't had such a meeting like this now for 2 years. My HOD knows it is pointless shouting at me over failing to document the verbal intervention I make. What else can they do? At worst sack me, but only after a long tortuous process.
    Instead, I harass the lazy students so much they usually give up and ask to be moved to another class or to be disapplied from my subject (usually to do Work Experience for a day or so each week). By the end of Year 10 I have, in the last few years, succeeded in removing the wasters from my group and as such the rest of the class sees what I am up to and toes the line. Amazingly, their results end up way over FFT predictors too and 80% A-Cs is the result.
    And I am less stressed and less grumpy.

8. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

In a previous life I was asked to ' mentor ' some Year 11 students. I said that if the Deputy could provide me with a rationale and evidence that this intervention had impacted on the students confidence , self esteem and examination success / performance then I would willingly undertake . No evaluation was forthcoming . I was taken off the mentoring list.