1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Intervention ideas for C/D borders and A/A* please

Discussion in 'English' started by leadlearner, Feb 5, 2012.

1. leadlearner

leadlearner New commenter

Can I report back that we don't need to do anything different or extra to raise results, or are we just keeping our good ideas close to our chests? Hoping it is the former....?[​IMG] Would really love to know though if you are giving or selling revision books or making them in house and which works best?

2. mediadave

mediadave New commenter

Does your school have a VLE? That's always an effective way of putting up revision material at minimal cost.

3. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

At the C/D borderline, I find that intervention is always most needed with the reading paper. They usually know what to do with the writing, but they find the reading bit really hard.
    I would begin by making reading a focus at the beginning of each lesson with a 10-15 minute starter based on a short extract from a text and getting students to unravel it using their 'reading toolkit'. By this, I mean a routine they go through with each new text to examine what the writer is doing. According to the chief examiner, mnemoncs like SMILES etc are not very useful and students need training to look at words, phrases and sentences rather than just identifying techniques.
    I know that's not very clear but it's best I've got at the moment.

4. leadlearner

Eva and Media Dave, both of these thoughts are really appreciated - I began to feel that I was the [​IMG]

5. leadlearner

Eva Smith and Media Dave thanks for this. I began to think I was the only one thinking about this.[​IMG] Many thanks

6. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Writing as someone on the assessment side, I'd agree with the post above that when it comes to teaching technique for answering on a Reading Paper, setting the students off on a treasure hunt probably does more harm than good for most of them.
    The "AFOREST"! It leads to so much twaddle!

7. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I BEG you to beat "It has an effect" out of them. It's meaningless!

8. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

"It's good because it is full of facts and opinions."

9. anteater

anteater New commenter

"It is good because it flows."

10. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

For me, it's about the students seeing the identification of purpose and audience as half-way to answering the question. Without that understood, they can only write generic analysis. Getting students to write article/adverts, and then modelling a reading paper analysis of them is a powerful thing, too. Get the A*s to write to a remit, and the C/Ds to analyse (although truth be told, either band can do both.) Good luck!

11. leadlearner

Thanks for this :)