1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interstellar

Discussion in 'Personal' started by kibosh, Jun 28, 2015.

1. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Watched it last night and although it was interesting enough to keep my interest for 2.5hrs, it could have been shorter, and better, if the producer had just cut out most of the emotional content and been more purist about the genre.

Have you seen it? What did you think?

2. tidal

tidal New commenter

Great visuals, for a film a reasonably compelling plot but the science is all over the place.

Some is reasonable (relativity) but other parts are just silly.

There's no depiction nor real mention of the effects of tidal forces for instance.

Good science fiction should rely on good science throughout but that would ruin the plot and baffle the viewer

Not as good as 2001 but will be a "classic" later no doubt

3. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

It's strange looking at 2001 now and seeing the extrapolations of mid-Sixties technology made by its makers. Things like a sentient computer and human hibernation were seen as 'just around the corner', while Dave Bowman is shown recording instrument readings on a clipboard.

4. tidal

tidal New commenter

Indeed

But at the time the level of scientific depiction was pretty much up-to-date
    Even if it was quickly outdated

5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Too long by 20 minutes but I liked it though it's not my type of film in general. Thought the music was fantastic

6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Suspending belief over that was a full time job . . . . then dealing with the OTT emotional content was, I felt, a bit of an overload

Minnieme: I didn't like the music, found it too dramatic . . . .understated might have been better

Dear Film,

Just be scientific/logical OR mushy/sentimental, but don't be both. Bye for ever, Kibosh.

7. tidal

tidal New commenter

Mind you I confess to being slightly hypocritical

I really liked Avatar and the science in that was ridiculous

8. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Inevitably, I suppose, 'visions of the future' date very quickly.

9. I watched it and liked very much. Though I think that the film could be at least 30 min shorter))