1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interpreting Carol Dweck's Motivation Questionairre

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by mature_maths_trainee, Dec 12, 2010.

1. first 300 posts as tragedy - next 300 as farce?

2. autismuk

autismuk New commenter

Personally I find it an advantage in life generally.....

3. DM

DM New commenter

I don't know. I'm blissful in my Dweck ignorance.

4. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I've actually read " mindset" and I'm bemused by this thread.

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

am I the only person who reads this as a threat? a p155poor threat, but a threat all the same

6. DM

DM New commenter

She's working on a sequel called "twinset". It will contain pearls of wisdom.

7. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Lol stop it. I'm making meaningful and interesting contributions to this thread. Weebecka pm'd me to tell me so it must be true.

8. DM

DM New commenter

Night curly. I'm off now.

9. autismuk

autismuk New commenter

Obviously.
    Quite what Mr Brennan will do, or what becka thinks he'll do I don't know. Unless he's got the IQ of a plant he's not going to take this 'coordinated Conservative strategy' seriously, especially given that a fair few of the objectors are fairly obviously left-of-centre (shall we say), certainly not staunch Tories !
    But bring him on, I say.
    Maybe I'll contact him anyway. His email is on his website (www.kevinbrennan.co.uk). He seems an okay sort of chap - also an ex teacher (of Economics up until 1995)

10. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

night

11. seren_dipity

seren_dipity New commenter

I was too busy snorting with laughter at being accused of being conservative (small or large 'c') or of propogating right wing dogma or supporting tory views.
    I really, genuinely think that weebecka ought to have spent some time researching this site and its posters before starting to post on here. She'd have noticed that:
    • it doesn't need facilitating
    • discussions take place and either stick to topic or deviate
    • sometimes there is agreement and sometimes there is heated debate
    • most posters are intelligent
    • most posters are experienced and professional and know what they're talking about
    • most posters are teachers
    • some posters are right wing
    • some posters are left wing
    • some posters are extreme in their views (mostly nutters whose usernames change often)
    • there is a great deal of valuable, thoughtful and useful advice given by highly experienced, knowledgeable posters with considerable expertise in various fields
    This site has existed for around ten years without the dubious input of weebecka and with only a little wisdom and wit she might have had much more successful discussion on here. ...and, if only she listened to other posters, she might still manage that.
    Of all the nonsense she has posted that post you have quoted (and which led to autismuk taking the mickey out of my left wing credentials) really takes the biscuit!

12. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Oh I must go and look

13. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Well thanks for the heads up DM - there is only one Maths_Mike although I dont go on NCETM much - all the posts and much of the NCETM work in my opinion revolves around educational theory and academia and as such has little interest to me which is why I rarely visit. The site is dominated by people such as Rebecca who claim to be experts - some are - but others just talk about it. I have more respect for the people on her who actually do it.
    (There is some excellent stuff on there and I am not critising all the posters or the peole who work for NCETM - I just happen to believe that they are another gouvernment Quango that has actually done little to improve the quality of mathematics teaching at grass roots level despite the high levels of funding they have received - and if anything they have actually been responsible for taking excellent teachers out of the classroom.
    An example being their ridiculous grants - a few thousand to produce a report - that no one will read - on an aspect of mathematics teaching. What can this grant money be spent on - resources - NO Equipment - NO anthing concerete and useful in the long tern - NO. Getting a supply tracher in for a couple of days so my classes dont get taught properley while i write some report on a project I have been doing that has taken way to much that I dont have - YES!!)
    The problem with all these things is TIME and the fact that most of us working in a school full time dont have any of it available. How about the NCETM coordinators going in to schools that are failing and showing us how they can make a difference? Others teachers can observe and get some of their workload reduced allowing them real opportunities to reflect and develop their own practice. Obviosly the school and children will also benefit from having the skilled practioners working with them.
    Well off topic I know but my point is you make a difference by what you do in a classroom not by what you read or write in a book.

14. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Thanks for those links Casey.
    Reading the Is Maths a Gift makes it sound as if there are some easy wins available. I wonder if changing mindsets can be as easy as they make it appear. Has to be worth a try.
    As for the direction this thread has gone in - reading the 81 posts which appeared yesterday evening and this morning was like very entertaining. There appears to be an attempt to adopt many different conflicting personas in the hope that one will win respect and admiration. So far, not so good.

15. DM

DM New commenter

You might be right about the money being better spent elsewhere Mike but I can tell you anecdotally that some of the practitioners who have received teacher enquiry grants from the National Centre feel it has helped to reinvigorate their teaching. If Tandy or petehall are lurking, they might be able to tell you more.

16. DM

DM New commenter

Do they chant that on the terraces round your way?

17. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Absolutely sure you are right DM - I just hold a view that considering the cost the benefit has not been all that it might have been.

The portal does contain some excellent stuff but who has the time to read it all let alone put it into practice?

The grants have I am sure benefitted some individuals but I doubt they have contributed much to developing mathematics education across the board.

I just get really diosappointed because I thought the NCETM was a real opportunity to get mathematics teaching into the headlights and to make some meaningful and long lasting changes to (for example the curriculum and the examination methods) and to the whole way maths is taughts and assessed.

Unfortunately this does not seem to be the brief of the NCETM and I think that is regrettably. Resources could in my opinion have been used more productive for insatnce supporting Mark with the development of the excellent Emaths - something which since joining NCETM he seems toi have spent less time on rather than more.

As for the total amount of money spent it is more than enough to do something that I personally think would be much more valuable (and in the long run very cost effective) - buy ouy mymaths.co.uk and the supply in free to all schools and develop it further into a real one stop shop for the delivery of the ICT bit of mathematics teaching.

18. I would agree that NCETM hasn't had the impact desired on a wider scale but would defend it's grant system. As HoD I bid for a grant of around £3K which allowed us to do some staff development work that we'd otherwise have been unable to do due to funding - largely it involved us watching eachother teach in a structured manner. As part of this we produced loads of resources together (which came out of the funding). My final report was only a side of A4 or so long and didn't take long. The sharing with other schools was most effectively done at Head of Maths network meetings.

Whilst I am here I thought I'd mention that, as I understand it, TeachersTV isn't dead it's now just a web based resource as opposed to sitting on Freeview etc.

19. I liked a small amount of things that appeared on teachers TV but feel they didnt do themselves any favours with the 'going from good to outstanding'
    IIRC it went along the lines of
    "I have been killing myself for 3 weeks to get an outstanding in this lesson I am planning day and night...I have gone to school especially early to set all my activities for this lesson. I hope I get my outstanding, I think I have worked so hard for this"
    I sat thinking "what about your other 59 lessons during this 3 week period of fabrication?"
    Suprisingly all the BS pedgogy trends were shoe-horned into a <strike>circus </strike>classroom much like those suggested in this thread
    "I deserve to go home and have a wind down"
    ...What about day in day out teaching my dear?
    Anyway.....
    <ol>[*]Sustainable[*]Progressive[*]Approrpiate and not edutainment[*]Mutually advances teacher and pupil</ol>There is a new acronym for you Becka

20. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

I could not agree more Beatmale.
    Day in Day out performance is what matters.
    Turning it on for the cameras, Ofsted or being able to write about doesnt.