1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Internet workshop for parents- ideas?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by clearasmud, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Hi

<font size="2">Thanks in advance!</font>

2. Hi there. Are you doing it from a skills or esafety point of view? I'd definitely include e-safety in there, mention webcams, facebook, time access controls, antivirus, spyware protection and talking to their children!

3. Hi,
    Thanks for your reply, We are trying to cover both. Doing a ppt on esafety then wanted to do something about the internet- but not sure what!

4. Show them your school's group on facebook (there's bound to be one), then show the connected kids and let them see how the kids are sharing this data to anyone. Scary stuff!
    In terms of using the internet, if you've got a VLE, go there + reporting systems etc.
    Do they really need a "this is how to use the internet" session though?

5. I do an intro to the internet PPT for PSE for the year 7s as they come in, giving a bit of background behind it and the www, also how to search smart, online safety etc. probably not all relevant, but you are welcome to it if you like to mix and match.
    One thing i would highlight to them when mentioning things like FB is the age restriction policy they have (13 years) and that if their kids are under this and using it, they are lying, only a loiitl lie, but none the less. Nothing is stopping a 45 year old weirdo saying they are 13 too and arranging to meet up. Don't scare them into banning all access, just enough to make them aware of the dangers.
    Like i said, if you want my PPT, shout.

6. Hi, Thanks for your help, Did it this week, went well, I covered password protection, anti virus software, positive uses of FB/social netwroking sites, showed them websites offerin free internet timer softwares.

7. stdavsurfer

stdavsurfer New commenter

Hi
    If you want resources covering e-safety, this is a good link - http://www.childnet-int.org/. It has plenty of resources for parents and children alike.
    This link - http://www.learnthenet.com/index.php - should be okay for a very basic introduction to the internet.