1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

internet date

Discussion in 'Personal' started by wellard, Feb 4, 2012.

1. has anybody dated anyone that they have met on the internet? I have been chatting with a guy that I have met on the internet and we are meeting tomorrow. Would like to hear people's experiences.

2. I haven't but a colleague did.
    Meet in a public place, don't have more than one drink, don't leave your drink unattended, let someone know where you are going and what time you expect to be back.

3. Been with the bf nearly two years and we met on the internet. We've going to start saving up for a house together soon [​IMG]

4. Asta9

Asta9 New commenter

Yes, a few - and I married one. I think there has been a thread about this before: if you do a search you should find it.
    I don't think meeting by Internet is so much different from meeting any other way, once you get past the first date. You either fancy them or you don't. In my case I just wasn't meeting anyone 'by chance' and I wasn't going to be a wallflower for ever. I enjoyed the selection process and met some interesting people, collected some anecdotes, went to some new places etc.
    Good luck!

5. I met my husband via an internet date. I had met a fair few people before him, my approach was that to find your prince you have to be ready to kiss a few frogs!

The advice given above is very sensible. I think if you have been chatting on line for a while you can work out pretty much whether you have enough in common to get on - the thing you can't bank on is whether there will be any "chemistry".

Good luck, and have a fun evening.

6. I am so pleased to hear so many positive stories thanx for replying. He seems to be a really genuine guy and we have loads in common.

7. I met someone online three years ago and we're still together...

8. I did; sweet guy, funny but the timing was wrong and he was more serious than I was. We still keep in touch from time to time.

9. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

If you take the same care you would when meeting anyone, then the only difference is the internet has made it so much easier for you to meet. By that I mean you have moved from the site to messenger, to Skype? You have asked questions and got the best impression? The idea is the person depicted in the profile is the same, more or less, as the person you see on Skype. For then there is no problem, embrace the immense time saving qualities of the net!

10. I think that you're beetter to meet them quickly because no matter how much you get on online and no matter what anyone says, they physical element IS important. I met a couple of guys a good many years ago now. I had got on well with them online but the instant we met it was such a let down. One had sent photos that bore NO resemblence to the person who appeared in front of me. He was setting himself up for a fall. He said he was about a foot taller than he really was as well! Strange! The other was also just plain strange! Meet them quickly so you are not wasting your time. It wasn't for me but best of luck to you with it - you could well meet Mr. Right.

11. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

I met MrT through an internet dating site and we'll be celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary in August. Never been happier!
    (He wasn't the first man I met through the site BTW......just the best and last!)
    Be safe and have fun [​IMG]

12. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

I have met 3, one a few yrs ago whom I had a relationship with for 18months and two more recently.
    Agree with advice above, if they are picking you up for any reason then meet somewhere a little away from your house just in case. Both my recent encounters have been fine, saw one guy for about a month, then realised he was not what he had presented himself to me! For that reason I will not be letting anyone know where I live for a while just in case. Other guy I have seen a few times this week, but doubt it will go anywhere.
    Go somewhere public, avoid excessive drinking and go your separate ways afterwards, if he wants to see you again he will be in touch and you can then decide if you want to bother or not.
    Hope it goes well for you :)

13. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I've done it. Skyped first, then met somewhere public, usually in the day time, although if it is evening, I made sure I drove to be on the safe side. Also, it can take a few tries to meet someone decent, as some blokes are purely out there for sex... but there are some decent people out there. Good luck :)

14. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I met Mr BS via the internet nearly 9 years ago and we've been married nearly 5 years.
    I agree with the advice to meet as soon as possible. It saves a lot of wasted time and energy!

15. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

How did it go?

16. Hello. It went well thank you. After a bit of a nervous start we got on well and he wanted to hold my hand and when he left we had a kiss. He was lovely and a very genuine guy. He has asked if we can meet again and I have said yes. I am not sure if he is the one but then I thought my ex was and he walked out!!! Thank you again for all the responses and interest.

17. What's the big deal here?? It's JUST ANOTHER FORM OF DATING! Except you can ask lots of questions before you meet, and you don't have to confront Larry the Lounge Lizard in his stomping ground. Don't reveal anything too quickly (!) and meet in public, with a friend close by for safety, and you're almost there. And yes, we did and we have been happily married for two years now!