1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Internet banking

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, May 28, 2020.

1. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Trawling through old papers and files I realised I had not logged on to an account for over 2 years.

As I did, it crossed my mind this bank - as so many - never contacts me by post and so I wondered what on earth I could do if the computer said no, as in 'this account is not recognised' or 'account balance 0'.

Maybe I am getting old but I do miss paper statements (at least once in a while) or the good ol' passbook.

(All was swell though, my £120 was still there)

Do you like modern netbanking, or would you rather it went back to papers?

2. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

I do internet banking but for record keeping I like paper copies. I have recently needed a bank statement for proof of my bank account (needed, like yesterday ie fast) but my printer hasn't worked for at least two years and I'm pretty much isolating. My sister has managed to get her printer working and could print off a bank statement for my saver account ............... except I don't really want anyone to know how much is in there (!!). I could ask the bank and wait several days for them to send me a statement but I need it now! Bloomin' pain.

dumpty likes this.
  3. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I prefer using the App.

agathamorse and dumpty like this.
  4. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I like Internet banking. I opted out of paper statements some time ago. I log on most days though - I suspect that's a hangover from the days when I struggled with debt.

agathamorse and dumpty like this.
  5. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I use internet banking most of the time. In the days when I was teaching it wasn't easy to get to the bank in town - and they weren't open on Saturdays. Now I can go when I need to, but I prefer to check things quickly in my own time. I do still get the occasional cheque from work which I need to pay in, but otherwise I don't drop in much. It's very useful for the older generation to have a branch in town. My Mum and Dad for example, won't do anything money related online (not necessarily a bad thing) and they use the branch in their town.

mathsman, agathamorse and dumpty like this.
  6. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

The banks I’ve dealt with all have the facility to continue with paper statements for all or just some accounts. I have done so (for just one account) so I have the relevant ‘proof’ needed as per post 2.
    Just join/ support a bank that has the facility you require.

7. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I use it regularly. Now I have had to move to tutoring online, my students' parents pay by bank transfer so I have to check that they've paid me.

I was rather concerned a few months ago that they changed the log on requirements. I used to have to enter 3 digits from a long password and 3 digits from a 5 digit PIN. Now I only have to enter the PIN which seems less secure.

TheoGriff and dumpty like this.
  8. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Tend to agree the pros outweigh the cons. Is great how we can pay online in seconds - I don't think I have written a cheque for many years.

TheoGriff, Marshall and agathamorse like this.
  9. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Ask if they provide a two step security log on facility. My banking App provides a choice of password only and password with unique passcode text sent for each log on.

TheoGriff and agathamorse like this.
  10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I had a postal current account with Alliance and Leicester long before internet banking was invented so that I didn't have to go to the bank and queue up to do mundane things. Internet banking is great. I have some alerts on my account so I get a message on my phone when certain things happen that I can set myself.

I do worry occasionally that I'm going to forget a number or my computer won't start or something and it's going to take me a month to get access back again. Still, I don't have to worry about being caught in a bank during a hold-up any more - swings and roundabouts.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

In a previous existence, I worked for one of the big banks in their probate department. It was standard practice then for relatives to bring in a pile of statements, passbooks etc from which we could work out how many different accounts the deceased had had, and with who.

I sometimes wonder how it works now, when so many people have all their current and savings accounts online. How do you find out about them if you are not a close relative 'in the know'?

agathamorse likes this.
  12. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

This once had me nearly pass out in Barclays. I had left quite a sum with them and moved overseas, so came back and said give me a fiver please at the branch.

The girl said 'Oh, this account is now lost'.

What she meant was 'dormant' in the old language. Apparently Gordon Brown gave the government the right to take money from 'lost' accounts (lost as in I was lost to them) BUT you and I could apply for the money back when we 'unlost' ourselves.

Typically, standing there with a passport was not enough to do this, I had to apply online for a 'lost accounts' check.

You can always do this for relatives and such.

https://www.mylostaccount.org.uk/about

(Barclays did indeed send me a cheque to close the account within 14 days or so)

agathamorse and ilovesooty like this.
  13. gainly

gainly Star commenter

When they changed the log on procedure, they said they were going to introduce a passcode text but this never seems to have happened.

14. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I've got two cheques waiting to pay in. My local branch has closed. I can't pay them in at the PO because I have no paying slips.

dumpty likes this.
  15. foroff2233

foroff2233 New commenter

I closed my first and only online bank a/c in 1999 and haven't returned.

dumpty and border_walker like this.
  16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Unfortunately I needed bank statements from before the deluge. I didn't have them and nor did my bank.

dumpty likes this.
  17. baitranger

baitranger Senior commenter

I opened an account with Starling just because you can pay in cheques using their app. I don't know why all other banks don't have this facility.

dumpty likes this.
  18. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Online for sure. It makes managing money so much easier. Saving accounts, Current accounts, Credit cards, Paypal, ISAs, Holiday money can all be viewed and money shuffled in seconds with no hassle.

I do download PDF statements and keep them though - I don't trust them just being held by the banks. Also I don't use banking apps as I have yet to find one that I trust as secure.

Signing two or three cheques a year is about max I think.

Marshall and dumpty like this.
  19. Trekkie

Trekkie Occasional commenter

HSBC have this facility too. I have been online grocery shopping for vulnerable elderly relative who has no online banking facility and can only pay by cash or cheque. Great to be able to pay in cheques without leaving my house!

Marshall and dumpty like this.
  20. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

I use my online banking app but I also still get paper statements, it makes life easier as I do some small scale consultancy work outside of academia for which I have a limited company and IR35 contractor status to receive payment.

Having the paper statements makes life easier when calculating your own tax liability, as you can cross reference figures with a ruler before entering it into the spreadsheet I made.