1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Internationally Minded'

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by PuiS, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Without sounding like a complete nutter, how on earth do I tell a school that I'm 'internationally minded'? This is requested information on an application form.

I've travelled, but never lived overseas. I'm aware of the changes I'd face and of diversity within an international school. But what on earth are they asking me? What is 'internationally minded'?

2. invincible

invincible New commenter

How you are culturally aware and see the similarities and differences between cultures, their practises and beliefs. How you view the world in terms of issues that affect the whole globe and how you would build this into your teaching and learning. It's all to do with educating kids to be global citizens and teaching tolerance for those different from us (tolerance is a word I don't like btw. I prefer understanding.) Think about citizenship, peace education and service learning and you'd be somewhere along the right lines. Think about how you would create that environment but, more importantly, how you yourself are like that and what you really believe.
    Is this for an IB school?

3. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Hi well there is travel and travel. Going on a beach holiday isn't really what they want. Have you traveled independently? Trekked across the Peruvian mountains? Lived with locals in a hut in a jungle? Helped with community projects overseas? Learnt a language? Have you organised a national day for another country at school?

Basically why do you want an international teaching job? Culture shock can be quite a thing (I've lived in 3 countries so got used to it) and being adaptable is important. If you want an international job for money and/or bored in uk and/or no job at home that are not good reasons to leave Uk - friends and family - are they? So you have to really think why you want that job!

4. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Perfectly good reasons to go overseas.
    Don't agree any of these are relevent at all. I haven't done any of the above but managed to do well over the years. I may be able to tell a taxi driver where to go in Arabic, Spanish and Thai but I don't count that as learning a foreign language.
    Perhaps the places you've been aren't challenging enough. Don't include Scotalnd or Wales on a list of overseas destinations....they're foreign but you can get there by car. [​IMG] I've been on four continents and you never really 'get used to it'.
    @OP: If you're being asked about International Mindedness you're probably looking at IB schools. Just go to the IB website and read their take on. I'd argue it's a bit of a nonsense phrase, but then again IB like talking bllx.

5. Whereas Mr Muckraker, most of what you wrote in comparison with the other posts (Nemo and Invincible) is once again the face of inexperience and ignorance.
    Why not take an MA course at Bath University or sign up for an IB workshop? Plenty of scope there for learning about International Mindedness. There's some good papers in the Bath Uni International Ed books by Hayden and Thompson about the theory of International Mindedness - check out articles by James Cambridge and George Walker. Hardly 'bllx'! Oh dear me. School Leadership at its best!

6. Thanks everyone. It is an IB school so I'm looking at the IB site as we speak. I think I'm struggling because I can't offer any evidence of how I'm internationally minded, so everything I write sounds very flowery and contrived. Hey ho.

7. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

PuiS, be a proud virgin, not a bashful one.
    Make a virtue of the fact that this is your first shot at a job 'overseas.
    Tell them that one of the reasons why you are looking at their school, is precisely because you would like to acquire a new and international dimension, and that having researched their school, you are certain that it will be a stimulating environment in which to do just that.
    Your main reasons for applying may be money, ennui, a tragic relationship, a forthcoming arrest in the UK - all of these, as MisterMaker indicates, are valid if unexciting reasons to travel. But presumably the above is also true - you want to experience life and work at first hand in a different culture, and, like, develop as a person and a learner in the process.
    All of us were new to this game once, and as MMaker also says (and sometimes unwittingly demonstrates) we carry our own culture and assumptions around with us, no matter how long we spend 'overseas'.
    (There's a French phrase to this effect that springs to mind, but I'll suppress it because the international educators who gather here, take a dim view of foreign languages)
    I'd rather hire an enthusiastic newcomer to the international scene like yourself, than some bleary-eyed veteran habitué of the departure lounge whose idea of a career path is to become, successively, Tired in Thailand, Cynical in Cyprus, Bored in Botswana and Autistic in Austria.

8. Jaupua

Jaupua New commenter

Lol

"Cædite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"

Translation:

"Tuez-les tous, Dieu reconnaîtra les siens"

Random!