1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

International week

Discussion in 'Primary' started by erinjunior, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Hello, in September each class in my school has been assigned a different country. I have been given Hawaii for my Year 1 class.
    Apart from grass skirts and flowers I am kind of stuck [​IMG]
    Any different ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

volcanoes
    surfing
    island life
    produce
    Captain Cook
    Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour
    Art
    climate

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. marlin

5. marlin

Sorry to come in with a third post about this cd of songs. I couldn't get the PDF links to work from the site I linked you to originally. They do work from this site though - Teaching notes, Lyrics and map:
    http://www.putumayo.com/kids/teacher%20tools

6. Tasting of any traditional hawaiian food. Sometimes you do have to stereotype in order to find something you can actually buy in supermarkets/cook! What about letting children make their own fruit juice cocktails and buying some jazzy straws/umbrellas etc?
    Making Lei's with elastic and paper flowers.
    Teach them to "Hula" dance.
    Give them some holiday brochures that they could either use to plan their dream holiday to hawaii, or cut pictures etc out to make a poster/leaflet.
    If you have a budget, you could get a paddling pool, some sand and an inflatable palm tree and make a little beach role play area outside your classroom.
    I really want to do Hawaii next time we do international week now!!

7. Just a thought though - Hawaii is a state not a country.

8. Sorry my fault... not back into work mode yet. However, I am still doing Hawaii.

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Which, in terms of teaching geography, is seriously worrying!

Creativity should NOT win over education!

10. I think you have misread my last post. I apologised for the mistake. We have all been given various countries, state etc. I wrote country by mistake in my post. Need to get back into the swing of things.[​IMG]