1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

International to UK

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by longchenpa, Feb 29, 2016.

1. longchenpa

longchenpa New commenter

Dear Theo,

I am a 44 year old British citizen with 22 years experience teaching English overseas.

I entered teaching via the ESOL route and then obtained my teaching Diploma in ESOL (level 5)

Six years ago I moved into the International education sector initially as an EAL teacher teaching IGCSE English 2nd language within an international school following the British Curriculum.

I then moved to teaching IGCSE English 1st language and English language A/S and A level alongside providing support for subject teachers teaching KS2 and KS3 to non native speakers.

In 6 years of teaching students some of whom have been SEN's and 2nd language speakers, I have never had a student obtain less than grade C in their examinations across the levels (IGCSE English 1st, English 2nd, A/S and A level.) After a few years I was asked by the school to take on more of a management role as academic coordinator in combination with part time teaching duties.

I am currently looking into QTLS and continuing with an MA in education and linguistics.

I have never worked in the UK but am starting to look at the possibility of this in the future. I would appreciate any advice/feedback on my chances of gaining employment.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Being a British Citizen is a good first step! Do you have a degree? In what?

Best wishes

3. longchenpa

longchenpa New commenter

I do have a degree but in a quite unrelated discipline! I have a law degree :)