1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

International to SENCO

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by jmbk, Jan 19, 2016.

1. jmbk

jmbk New commenter

Hi,

I am currently working abroad as the HOD of English at an international school. I am going to come back to the UK in time for the next academic year and have started exploring the opportunities.

Prior to my PGCE I was an LSA for a short time so I have some, albeit limited, experience with SEN. I then taught for 3 years at a mainstream secondary school as an English teacher.

I was going to supply when I got back to the UK and try to find a role that I really wanted. I am now thinking that I might like to pursue SEN/SENCO roles.

Is this transition possible? Am I best working as a supply teacher and using some of the time to shadow a SENCO? Is it best to get back in to mainstream UK teaching and then make the transition later on? What would the community suggest?

Thanks in advance.

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think it may help if you look at the standards for SENCOs to give you a flavour of what the job entails now. Also read about the revised CoP and the focus on inclusive teaching and learning. You can subscribe also to some SEND newsletters which can be very useful if you want a résumé of policies and practice.Theory is also important and additional qualifications at some level will certainly boost your confidence in dealing with complex needs and give you ' street cred ' with the staff of course. Experience in leadership and management are key and your responsibilty at this level previously will help.Re transition I think also it is much about the integrity and vision of the person i/ c inclusion as are the knowledge base ( the Internet is your friend ) and a capacity to be well organised, methodical and an excellent role model in the classroom. Approaching the SENCO in a place of work re shadowing is an option but I think to be taken seriously you will need to show the impact you have had on students / schools re improvement in attainment and achievement in its wider context.I am not sure what the competition out there is like for jobs currently ? Folk often like the idea of moving into SEND but without a supportive LT in a setting with an inclusive ethos it can be massively challenging. Good luck nevertheless.