1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

International teaching post not relevant?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by xtra, Jun 19, 2015.

1. xtra

xtra New commenter

I have been invited to interviews after teaching in an international school. Two of the schools I have applied at are stating that my referees and experience abroad are not relevant to the teaching post I have applied for. Therefore they are contacting a school I left 6 years ago for a reference and more information. When I asked them about pay, they said they would start me on M3, even though I now have 6 years teaching experience.

The school I taught in followed the British Curriculum for KS3, then IGCSE and IBDP.

Is this normal?

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Afraid so. Pay portability has been abolished - HTs are under no obligation to pay you to scale, even if you have been paid that in your previous post.

3. xtra

xtra New commenter

What about the reference though?

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It's entirely up to the school which references they take up - however, I would still want a reference from your most recent school, if only to check there are no disciplinary issues OR (and this is v important) reasons why you shouldn't work with children.