1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

International teaching in Doha.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by aridion, Feb 27, 2012.

1. aridion

aridion New commenter

I have been offered 10,000 QR for an international school in Doha. Accommodation, flights and all benefits are included. As far as I gather the school has been established for a few years and has a number of different campuses. Is this a decent salary for Doha?

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

If you're fairly new to teaching, with just a couple years of experience, this is ok. If you're experienced, it's a low salary. How low depends on your qualifications.
    With the market the way it is, you may want to consider it even if it's low. As a single, you could live on this and have extra for travel, savings, or paying a mortgage back home. If you're supporting a family, it would be a stretch but possible. I knew a guy who supported a wife and 4 kids for several years on 12,000.

3. aridion

aridion New commenter

I am a single teacher with a number of years teaching abroad doing esl before my PGCE. However as far as Experience in UK, I will be an NQT. Basically what I want is to be able to save a decent portion of my salary. This will be my first international school gig and I aim to become an international teacher long term.

4. dash201

dash201 New commenter

As you are classed as an NQT then I would say that is not too bad. I have been offered more than that but I have about 8 years on you. On the other hand, I have a friend with more experience than you that has been offered less.
    But as has previously been said, you should be able to live on that. I think we feel that it may not seem that much but we forget that it is tax free and accommodation is provided and you will only need to pay out on food and other items like that.
    And if you are wanting to become an international teacher long term then this is a start. Let us know what you decide.

5. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

10,000 is plenty for your basic expenses, more than enough for food and transport and basic clothes. As for your savings, that depends on how much you choose to spend on clubs, travel, flashy tech items, and so on.

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Is this a decent salary? Perhaps the OP should also be asking whether or not it is a decent school...