1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

International Teaching Fairs 2017-18

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by jdgoliath9, Aug 18, 2017.

1. jdgoliath9

jdgoliath9 New commenter

Hello all,

I thought i would start a thread dedicated to the various teaching fairs coming up, i feel this would help myself as well as the wider community here.

If anyone has any knowledge on upcoming fairs or has been to one before, i would greatly appreciate your input and advice.

The fairs i know of that are coming up in the UK in 2017-18 are:

Search Associates - January and March, London.
    CIS - January, London.

Has anyone here been to such an event and can say what to expect?

Many thanks in advance!

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I have never been to a CIS fair. The SEARCH fairs that I went to (two in Dubai and one in London) were pretty good. Yes, I landed teaching jobs from two out of the three, so I suppose that they were worth the expense, time and effort. Networking with other international teachers is an major advantage of attending a fair, in my experience. The "blurb" that you are given about each school is also helpful and usually quite accurate.

jdgoliath9 likes this.
  3. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

I went to the Search fair in Hong Kong in February for the very first time. It's like being at a meat market and despite having 5 interviews , which was hard work, I didn't get any job offers!

I think my advice would be to remain positive and prepare an extensive portfolio that includes evidence of your current practice. Also remember that you are being exposed to employers so business dress - I saw some people who were not smartly dressed and you wouldn't attend an interview like that so the same applies to a job fair. Make plenty of copies of your cv and take bottles of water and snacks with you.

jdgoliath9 likes this.
  4. the hippo

Dear old Harry Deelman! Is he still going strong? The airline lost my luggage and so he kindly let me borrow a pair of his trousers for the now-defunct Frankfurt SEARCH fair. And yes, I did get a job!

5. jdgoliath9

jdgoliath9 New commenter

Fantastic news!
    With the fair, if a school likes you do they set up an interview during the fair or on a certain date?
    Thank you for all the advice so far and... I hope you got your trousers back i guess

6. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Haven't been to a fair - managed to avoid them thus far - but of the Search and CIS fairs, last year I think the Search one was the busiest. Certainly my headteacher commented that the CIS fair was a bit of a letdown for both recruiters and applicants as numbers were down on both sides. That's kind of back up by my own experience where jobs were coming through Search continually but CIS was as empty as the bar after the end-of-term celebrations.

7. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

a number of the schools i have worked at use the fairs as a last resort really. they try and recruit before, and try and avoid them if possible, although this is not always possible. with the advent of technology i do question how long left the fairs have to go, at least for basic classroom teachers.

so far i have also managed to avoid going to one. long may that continue

8. the hippo

Perhaps this is a rather negative viewpoint, dumbbells66. Yes, there are fairs and fairs. Some of them are maybe better than others, I grant you.

I was under the impression that "technology" has been with us for quite a while now, but maybe I am mistaken.

I have only been to the SEARCH fairs, as I indicated in my earlier post. I found them interesting and productive experiences. A jobfair gives you an opportunity to have quite a few face-to-face interviews within a fairly small timeframe, so a jobfair might work out to be a lot cheaper than going to different interviews, in different places.

I am sure that you are aware of the rule on this TES forum, dumbbells66, that posters are not allowed to mention specific schools or organizations. However, at a jobfair you get the opportunity to meet lots of international teachers and you can discuss specific schools as much as you like.

My impressions of SEARCH jobfairs were positive ones. The fairs were a bit frantic at times, admittedly, but on the whole they were worth the time and the money. Yes, of course we can all have endless SKYPE interviews, but talking to someone face-to-face is not quite the same thing.

As a "basic classroom teacher", I was interested to learn that I will not deserve the privilege of attending any jobfairs in the future. Kind of you to mention it, dumbbells66.

9. dumbbells66

its obviously just my opinion, but as i am sure you know Hippo, these fairs are very expensive for schools to attend, from what i know schools have to pay $2500 to the fair organisers for each person they hire at the fair. its $50 for the school just to look at your details on the forum we aren't allowed to mention. not to mention the actual cost of sending the senior management team halfway around the world. and we all know they arent staying in the cheap hotels !!!! what i am questioning is with the substantial savings schools will gain doing all their interviews for classroom teachers over skype, and more and more schools opting for this, how long do these fairs have left? im not saying they are negative, all the people i know that have gone to the big ones in London and Bangkok have always had positive experiences.

i can totally see the value for doing it for admin positions though. you wouldnt or maybe i should say shouldnt hire admin without meeting them face to face.

obviously, just my opinion.

10. dumbbells66

you also managed to expertly mention a specific school or organisation twice in your post. its ok, i dont think anyone noticed, and i think you got away with it ;)

11. the hippo

Yes, indeed I did mention SEARCH, but then so did the OP, amysdad, jdgoliath9 and lovely.lady. Please don't tell those mean and nasty TES Mods or we will all be put on the Naughty Step at playtime.

Perhaps these fairs are rather expensive for the schools, but maybe the alternatives are not so cheap. How much does it cost to put an advertisement in the TES these days? Just as individual teachers can enjoy and benefit from networking with other international teachers at a SEARCH fair, I am also quite sure that a lot of principals heads enjoy the opportunity to hobnob with other principals and compare notes. Another advantage of using SEARCH (yes, I have done it again!) is that the outfit does have quite an effective "filtering" system, so that you are more likely to find the right person for the job.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  12. jdgoliath9

jdgoliath9 New commenter

So much good advice, Thank you all again.

SA is clearly very well run and a good resource for job finding, shame they want to contact all of your references up front even before applying for a job, kind of lets the cat out of the bag with the workplace with no guarantees of getting a job but sacrifices must be made and shows that you are serious about international teaching i guess

Any more advice or information is more than welcome!

13. cakman

cakman New commenter

How dare you call us basic classroom teachers!!! Just kidding :) Well I am Turkish, but I was teaching Physics in UK for 7 years and now I am Head of Physics for some time. Do you think recruiters would be ok with that. I mean a person not a native speaker of English. I am planning to teach in Moscow. And when do you think the September jobs are likely to appear?

14. dumbbells66

September jobs have been advertised since september 2017. That last major job fair just finished, although there are a few "lesser" ones to go.
    Not that i want to seem rude, but Moscow may not be the best place for anyone that isnt western european in appearance....i would look into Russians history with racism if i were you before making that choice.
    I have worked with many many many non native speaking teachers. In decent international schools it wont make a difference. You are also a Physics teacher...you are about as rare as it gets. You should be able to walk into pretty much any job you want.... its a pity you didnt ask 5 months ago, you would have had a lot more choice. Because you are a physics teacher you will be at the top of schools recruitment lists, and some would not have found a teacher for next year yet.

Best of luck