1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

International teacher with untrained spouse

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by andrewdeighan, Nov 6, 2018.

  1. andrewdeighan

    andrewdeighan New commenter

    Hi there,

    Currently I am working in New Zealand and before this I was in Bangkok for 2 years. I teach chemistry to A-level. My wife and I want our next move (Aug 2019) to be to Kuala Lumpur.

    That being said, we would like her to complete her iPGCE in KL. She has 5 years working in schools, mainly as a librarian, but taught as an unqualified teacher in Bangkok, using her degree in English Literature. We would be paying for the iPGCE ourselves.

    What would be my best way to apply for jobs, but also see if they would take my wife on and allow her teaching time to complete the iPGCE? Should I apply then speak to the school at interview, or email the headteacher for a chat beforehand? I don't want to come across as presumptuous to them!

    Thanks for your help

  2. amysdad

    amysdad Established commenter

    I would apply first, get the interview, then explain your wife's position and that she would like to complete the PGCEi. Some schools will actually support her doing that if she's doing something like student support while she trains.
  3. andrewdeighan

    andrewdeighan New commenter


    I suppose if the school likes me they can, as most international schools do, find her an EAL position while she trains!

    ejclibrarian likes this.
  4. willow78

    willow78 Occasional commenter

    I was in a similar position, I got a job in the school, my wife got a job in the boarding house a few weeks later and whilst she did that job, did the PGCEi and hasn't looked back.

    As Amysdad has said, I'd get mention it at interview, they are will more than likely ask what your partner will do as it's a big consideration for International schools.

    She might be able to get a job as you have said in ESL or even do some supply at the school. The school we were at allowed my wife to her placement but that was unpaid and we had to pay for course as you are going to do.

    I can't see why a school would be open to this idea.
    andrewdeighan likes this.
  5. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    Your wife would qualify for jobs in China as no teaching qualification required only a Degree and two years teaching experience.

    Had an email from an agency offering jobs this morning with 30 jobs your wife could apply for today. Salary and package vary greatly but jobs in the range 18-24k rmb after tax, mostly 2nd cities but some including Shanghai and Beijing.

    Many schools I know could find your wife a job in several different areas of the school.
    andrewdeighan likes this.
  6. Bytor

    Bytor Occasional commenter

    The title of your post made me fear the worst.

    I thought you might be a misogynist asking for marital advice regarding your ¨undomesticated¨ wife who won´t cook, iron or clean for you and who you feared had feminist tendencies because she asked you to aim straight and put the toilet lid down.

    Thankfully, it appears you aren´t
  7. andrewdeighan

    andrewdeighan New commenter

    Hahaha, this made me chuckle!
  8. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    sent you a conversation
  9. sparklesparkle

    sparklesparkle Established commenter

    That would be impossible because EAL does not exist outside the UK. Unless she has a CELTA, It's also very unlikely she would get an EFL position. How would she teach the subject if she has no prior training or experience? If she is planning to teach English, a CELTA would be a very worthwhile investment. English consists of language as well as literature and her pupils may be non-native speakers.
  10. walkingfred

    walkingfred Occasional commenter

    We have two PGCE folk at our school this year- both spouses. While they are training, they are getting a bit of money, socialization and experience from Supply Teaching and sports coaching. Them undertaking the PGCE was all arranged after contracts had been signed by the hired teacher. Be careful though, some of the IPGCEs are not deemed rigorous enough and are not accepted by some schools.
  11. andrewdeighan

    andrewdeighan New commenter

    That's amazing news. Do you mind if I ask what country you are teaching in? We are thinking of going for the uni of Nottingham IPGCE as it seems to be the best.

    Thanks for your reply!
    walkingfred likes this.
  12. walkingfred

    walkingfred Occasional commenter

    We are in Beijing.
  13. MinusNothing

    MinusNothing New commenter

    I thought is was someone asking for marital advice regarding thier ¨undomesticated¨ husband who won´t cook, iron or clean and who they feared had masculism tendencies because he asked to aim straight and put the toilet lid up.
  14. Bytor

    Bytor Occasional commenter


    Perhaps it says something about me.

    I did wonder whether someone would pick me up on that.

    But in my defence, I did read the post to ID the sex of the spouse before writing.


Share This Page