1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

International Teacher Shortage?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by february31st, Dec 1, 2019 at 5:59 AM.

1. yasf

yasf Established commenter

That's because you've never worked in British schools or Western European international schools.
    In both my previous 2 schools the largest contingents were American. Where I am now, the largest group is Canadian. The only time I worked with large numbers of Aussies was when I worked in London.
    Lucky you. I generally find that they are extremely well trained, professional and have a wicked sense of humour.
    To be fair, we're only copying what's been going on in the states for decades.

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Yep, theres a big reason for that....and i never ever plan to teach in one again

3. yasf

yasf Established commenter

There are good ones you know. I get the impression that you worked in not great schools in the UK, then a terrible 'British' school in Spain. I was lucky - I worked in a great school in the UK and then a great British school overseas. Saying that, I still prefer the independence that the MYP and lack of OFSTED gives to teachers once you're outside the British system. Almost like you're a real grownup that knows what you're doing . . !

motorhomer, 24hours and dumbbells66 like this.
  4. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

Having taught in SE Asia for ten years, I'd disagree with that, especially as I spent some of that time in the Australian School Group, who struggled to fill their posts with Australians.

I'd suggest the chief reason is the relatively high salaries in their domestic market and maybe their desire to travel further afield if the opportunities presents itself. All I ever heard from Aussies was them moaning about how poor the remuneration package was.

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

hope you didn't have the misfortune to work at the one in Saigon o_O

6. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

Why is no-one considering teachers from non native speaking countries? I have worked with some great Filipino teachers here in the UAE and they've generally been much more highly qualified than me or other native speakers. Our school has an IELTS requirement for all non-native speakers (8 I think) but their English is great.

Surely there comes a point when schools, especially with shortages like we read about in China, start considering Filipino or Indian teachers instead?

7. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

There are all sorts of reasons for not considering non-native English speakers for teaching positions.
    Flat out racism being one.
    Parental desire for their progeny to learn English from a native English speaker is another.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  8. Mr_Frosty

I agree, but if the schools end up in a situation where you can hire a native speaker for X per year and a non-native speaker for 0.3X per year then oterh issues can be dealt with. I don't think we're there yet, but if demand does outstrip supply I think it's more likely than huge salaries for native speakers - especially in some of the bilingual schools.

9. february31st

february31st Established commenter

It depends if a country will issue a visa for teachers from Z or Y country. In China it all depends if country Z has a trade agreement giving all mineral rights to a certain company.

Other countries are just racist to skin colour when it comes to issuing a work visa. Did you ever wonder why a colour photo had to be attached to a job application.

Teachallover likes this.
  10. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

I disagree. Some parents would die before allowing their child to be taught by a Filipino.

11. 4019775

4019775 New commenter

When industry cannot attract the workers they need they pay more.

It is long past time that those with Mickey Mouse degrees teaching Mickey Mouse subjects like history and geography were paid less and those of us with superior qualifications in Maths/Chemistry/Physics were paid more. I always told my IB kids there were IB 45's and IB 45's. HL maths, chemistry physics or not worth sh2t.

After all a maths graduate has many,well paid, career options. A history graduate? McDonalds or teaching.

12. 4019775

4019775 New commenter

What does the history graduate say to the actuary?

Do you want fries with that?

Last time a geography teaching post came up at my place we got over 50 applicants. Time for two tier teachers pay.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 7:55 PM
  13. motorhomer

motorhomer New commenter

Don't feed the troll.

YNWA1892, mermy, Mr_Frosty and 4 others like this.
  14. StrangePanda

StrangePanda Occasional commenter

And yet, you are a teacher. Couldn't you get short-listed for a job in a real career? :)

mermy likes this.
  15. Mr_Frosty

I don't disagree, but are there enough of them to force a school to close? I honestly don't know - for some schools probably, for others, not.

16. february31st

february31st Established commenter

If parents are paying 25000GBP for a pre-school place they may well expect to have a western qualified and trained teacher in the classroom and I know many Filipino's take the co-teacher role is visa restrictions permit. So many schools now open in Shanghai, parent power will start to be an issue simply to fill empty chairs in classrooms.

Just checking the job listings for China and I counted over 1000 teachers required and we have not reached peak season yet, should be interesting after the holidays. Two of the big school chains have over 100 jobs each advertised on their websites and other rented-names are opening up several schools each in parts of China even I have to look at a map to locate.

17. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

No international school is going to fill its classrooms with cheap labour to save money. Firstly, as mentioned, no one is going to pay 20k a year to send their child to a school of Filipino teachers (morally wrong - but it is what it is). Secondly (and morally rightly) you're not going to find many parents who are going to be OK sending their children to a school that hires cheap labour to save money. I certainly wouldn't be OK with my child being taught by people I know are being exploited for profit.

dumbbells66 and Mr_Frosty like this.
  18. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

'A history graduate? McDonalds or teaching.'

Absolute nonsense, a friend of mine who is a history graduate got his first job straight of uni as the personal assistant to the chairman of Barclays Bank, somewhat better than our new troll I am guessing.

And as the strange panda rightly points out what is a Maths/Chemistry/Physics graduate doing in teaching when he should surely be earning shedloads in a related industry???

Sounds like envy of a particular sort to me!

19. rlevett1

rlevett1 New commenter

A babyboom in UK and shortages of UK teachers will hopefully push up salaries of shortage teachers internationally