1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

International Teacher Shortage?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by february31st, Dec 1, 2019 at 5:59 AM.

1. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Just calculating that the number of (so called) "International Schools" in China has quadrupled in the last 5 years, where are all the teaching staff going to come from?

At least 100 new schools opened/opening in China in the next couple of years, but none of them has considered in their business plan where the teaching staff are going to materialize from.

Looks like a few UK universities better crank up their iPGCE program capacity.

Also in other Asian countries companies are going ahead with aggressive school expansion building without considering where all the teachers are going to be recruited from.

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa just to name a few. The UK isnt the only place on earth that has teachers you know.

TeacherMan19 likes this.
  3. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

Even more so as China has tightened their z work visa requirements in recent years. Loosely, the way I perceive it is going to work is; the bigger cities will focus their recruiting on hiring Chinese nationals who have studied away in US etc. This is what the Government is pushing for with tightening the z visa (So the answer is there probably won’t necessarily be more non-Chinese teachers in China). More obscure cities will prioritise hiring the foreign applicants where there is more need for ‘experts’. However, this is all falling at a time with tax changes/ taxing on accommodation allowances etc coming into play and poorer package deals as schools are now less competitive to find a job in than before. Salary offerings and benefits have definitely lowered generally. It’s certainly going to be an interesting transition period over the next couple of years to see what happens...

Bill8899 likes this.
  4. february31st

Thank you for stating the obvious, is it a hobby?

But 3 big North American businesses are opening up new schools at an alarming rate, think about B, N and V just to hint at 3.

Not many North American teachers willing to work in China over the last couple of years.

But if a Mohair war breaks out between SA and China no SA teachers will be allowed a visa to work in China.

Teachallover likes this.
  5. yasf

yasf Established commenter

The US, Australia, Scotland, South Africa and NZ also have their own teacher shortages. For the first time in decades, Canada's surplus is decreasing sharply.

6. yasf

7. dumbbells66

Lets talk basic economics, when demand outstrips supply, what does that mean for the market?

Answers on a postcard please

8. february31st

I don't see any of the big for profit schools increasing the financial package for teachers here in China, if anything I only see its reduction.

One of the rent-a-name schools in Shanghai employs 100 teachers, it has since opened 4 other schools worldwide each can employ 100 teachers. It has also opened 3 Bilingual schools each employing at least 30 teachers and this is only one of several rent-a-name schools doing the same.

9. yasf

Hence the attempt to increase supply.

With some people the need to keep teacher's salaries down almost seems ideological.

10. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Are you in support of those studying for a PGCEi now?

Bill8899 likes this.
  11. february31st

I get 240 iPGCE on the roll hanging up by by toilet!

12. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Yes, in the UK they are called Tories.

13. gone east

gone east New commenter

There are only a few ways this can go.
    One, more local teachers. However, that's not really what most of the parents want. Rather than Commonwealth/US/European schools will employ more Indian and Phillipino teachers.
    Two intense competition for good teachers (or possibly teachers with what are perceived to be better passports).
    The real crunch will come when UK, Australia etc start bumping up salaries T&Cs etc to stave off their own recruitment crisis.

14. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

What cruch?
    Not all. But eastern states 1st year teachers in Australia get an equivalent salary of £30-32,000 a year with a last step (13) of £52-53,000 a year. The influx of teachers leaving the Australia to teach overseas is not on par with the UK exodus.

15. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

There is no teacher shortage in Australia. Well, maybe some difficulty recruiting for specific subjects but in general schools don't have to look very far for the right candidate.

englishdragon likes this.
  16. dumbbells66

having taught in Southeast Asia, I would not agree with this. there is a massive amount of them.

17. taiyah

Massive? On par with the UK contingent? You're kidding yourself. With a very strong union backing thier salaries and working conditions; working in either the public or private teaching in Australia is the preferred option for many.

They are certainly not leaving in droves like the "qualified" and qualified British ones.

18. dumbbells66

nearly all the schools I was involved with, visited, competed against in that region the largest group of teachers by far was always Australian. the next group would be Canadian, then possibly American or Kiwi's. in every school I have worked at I have always been in the minority as a Brit.

19. taiyah

With 9.5% pension fund + extra 12.5% holiday loading during the summer holidays + a starting salary of $62,000 (£32-33k) + pro rata long-term service leave (temp and permanent) + tax benefits + government paid degrees (from reputable universities) to qualify as a math or physics teacher....

There's no exodus or teacher shortage in Australia. There are a plethora of teachers who are happy to casually teach or be on temp contract for decades.

Considering the low-cut short-cut "qualifications" rolling out of the UK. The circuit shouldn't worry about the lack of western teachers. "Qualified" or qualified ones.

20. dumbbells66

each to their own.... I personally have met, and worked with an absolute tonne of them.