1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

International Supply Teaching Companies

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by jazzy78, May 22, 2019.

1. jazzy78

jazzy78 New commenter

Hi,

I'm looking for help from anyone who has had recent experiences working for International Supply Teaching Companies and has any positive experiences to share.

Short contracts, maternity cover etc.

Any recommendations please comment or pm me. I would love to do this to 'dip my toe in' to the International teaching market before taking on a longer contract.

Thanks so much :)

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

As far as I know, there are no International Supply Teaching Companies. I started teaching in international schools in 1998 and I have never heard of any agencies that specifically recruit teachers for "cover" or supply. Yes, there are supply agencies like this in the UK, of course, but we are talking about a quite different kettles of fish. These supply agencies do not exist for international schools.

There are, of course, recruitment agencies that specialize in finding staff for international schools (Search Associates, TIC, Hayes and no doubt many more). However, these agencies only deal with longer contracts. That is my understanding, although of course I might be mistaken and that would not be the first time that this has happened. If you look in the international jobs section of the TES, then I think that you will find that temporary or "supply" jobs are very rare or else there are none at all.

jazzy78, on the whole I would say that you cannot dip your toes into international schools. Most contracts are for two years and yes, you are expected to abide by the terms and conditions of your contract. Although I am sorry if that seems a bit unhelpful, I think that you need to look at the facts. I have also sent to you one of those TES Conversation things. If you click on your little picture in the top right hand corner of the screen, this will take you to the place where you can find TES Conversations.

3. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

The reason that there are no supply agencies is that, for the most part, your employment visa ties you to the school - so even if you end up in, say, Beijing, you will only be able to do supply for one school and not another.

You might get a short-term contract, for maternity cover for example, but this won't be for long (might not even be a full term) and certainly not worth moving for. International teaching is very much a "hold your nose and jump in" - which is sensible, because if you're not sure about moving abroad then it might not be for you.

An alternative could be to look at schools which offer summer school, or come out and teach English for a summer. You might then get a better idea of whether it's for you or not.

4. jazzy78

jazzy78 New commenter

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your experience. I've lived overseas and loved it and no issues with living abroad but teaching abroad can be a different situation. By dip my toes in I meant to see if working outside of my own country was for me before I move away from home for an extended period. I have registered with two companies (UK/Aus/NZ based) who are supply/relief short term contract recruiters for overseas schools in UAE, China, South East Asia, Kuwait etc but just hoped someone else on here might have worked for them before to give me some insight. TES rules say you can't name names so I didn't. Thanks anyway and hopefully someone can provide some more insight.

5. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

Hi jazzy78

There is at least one agency which advertises 'supply' or short term contracts for international teachers - teachersonthemove - but it charges a fee for signing up and there's no easy way of viewing what vacancies they might have.

I have had two short term (5 months in each case) posts which came via regular teaching agencies so it's worth registering with these and letting them know that you are looking specifically for short term posts. Another school I once worked at advertised last year here on TES for a 6 week cover stint so it does happen. Both my temp posts came at perfect times for me and might have just been pure luck but you don't know what's out there until you try.

Good luck!

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I stand corrected, rachel_g41!

In some cases, I would say that the paperwork, the red-tape and the expenses that are involved when you are getting a work visa to some countries (China, for example) might make a short term contract just not worth the trouble.

7. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

i know of one agency, but in all my years abroad i have only ever heard of one person being employed through them. i wouldn't think you will be swamped with employment opportunities.

8. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

My schools have hired a few long-term supply teachers through agencies over the years, for maternity and serious illness cover. It's a niche field, to be sure, and usually schools try to handle these things within country, but that's not always possible or preferable.
    True Teaching also offers a service.
    Even Search Associates and ISS have been known to get into the game sometimes, though I don't think they have an official department. With them, it's more like schools can contact them and ask if they know of any candidates who might be interested in supply. There are always some candidates hanging around available at a moment's notice. If you're with an agency, make sure they know you're interested in supply that might come up.

9. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

We were talking about this recently in the UAE and thought it may be possible to get a freelance visa and then do supply style teaching while doing it, but only certain professions qualify for freelance visas (I think). We didn't look into beyond a couple of quick google searches but our conclusion was that if you taught art, photography, media you could get a freelance visa in those areas and do it and possibly also with English (freelance writer/journalist) or ICT (freelance coder/developer) or PE (freelance Personal Trainer).

It's probably not possible but if you're really set on it it might be worth some research.

10. rideemcowboy

rideemcowboy Occasional commenter

11. mmkahli

mmkahli New commenter

Messaged you :)

12. MayaJones

MayaJones New commenter

I would not recommend teachersonthemove. They stole money from me a number of years ago.

13. mmkahli

mmkahli New commenter

Thanks for this post - I have not been able to find any reviews of the company.

14. jazzy78

jazzy78 New commenter

Thanks everyone for your help. Love TES because its the only way for me to vet out the dodgy companies and can save careers as far as i'm concerned. Company TT stay away from if considering the short term option. So rude, not transparent with simple questions such as visas and salary and lacking personal skills. No way would I trust my career to them, who knows what strife you would end up in going on an overseas stint through this company let alone the credibility of the schools they deal with. Had a great company starting with smart who have been delightful and got me lots of interviews and a couple of offers already. Compass also been great to deal with.

snitzelvonkrumm likes this.
  15. jazzy78

jazzy78 New commenter

Thanks for this,also add TT to that.