1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

International Schools

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by shandaheath, Feb 20, 2012.

1. How competitive are the international schools to work for? I have taught elementary education for public schools for the past six years in the States. I would love to teach in Africa. I have not had much luck on researching teachers for international schools to get an understanding of the environment both academically and socially.

2. How competitive are the international schools to work for? I have taught elementary education for public schools for the past six years in the States. I would love to teach in Africa. I have not had much luck on researching teachers for international schools to get an understanding of the environment both academically and socially.

3. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

It's completive. At the better schools, it's extremely competitive. That being said, if you are open and flexible, you would most likely find a job. Elementary is not a high needs area, but there are many openings and if you are a single teacher with no dependents, that would give you a leg up on many candidates.
    Africa is obviously a huge place and schools/countries will vary widely as to living conditions, working conditions etc. If you pick a country and do a forum search, you will get many threads for you to do some initial research. Also, if you are serious about this, you may wish to look into joining an agency.
    We are also from the states (elementary and SPED) and managed to find jobs in Egypt for our first overseas posting.

4. Arepa

Arepa New commenter

For Americans interested in delving into international education for the first time, I would recommend subscribing to The International Educator, and the International Schools Review (read all the comments with the proverbial grain of salt). You should also enroll with joyjobs and with Search Associates. The latter is particularly useful as you will have access to their data base which describes schools and salaries. Once you narrow down the countries in which you are interested, you should do a search on this site. I would encourage you to be as open as possible. It is not all that easy to start at one of the top schools. However, once you join the international circuit and establish a reputation, you can move up to the top tier schools.
    I spent ten years in West Africa. It is not for everyone. Some found it difficult to cope with the culture. Indeed, at one time, I had a short lived career giving talks to international agencies on "culture shock". I was an expert simply because I survived and thrived. Think carefully before you embark upon your first overseas post in one of the more difficult environments.