1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

International schools near surf spots

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by anniewalker90, Jul 30, 2018.

1. anniewalker90

anniewalker90 New commenter

Hello all,

I am a PE teacher and current middle manager with experience in both Comprehensive and Grammar schools here in the UK. I have taught from year 7 - 13 (11-18years old) for the passed 7 years and have a Masters degree in Transformational Leadership in Education and a BA HONS in Physical Education with QTS.

My husband is a keen surfer and soon to be surf guide and we are looking to relocate. Does anyone know of good international schools (or local schools) that are based near good surf spots where my husband could work as a surf guide?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
    Annie and Jake

England

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

No, but i know where you could earn significantly more than any UK teacher and your husband could surf as much as he wants and not work. Its in Africa though, so not for everyone

yasf likes this.
  3. anniewalker90

anniewalker90 New commenter

Thank you for your response.

We are quite open to be honest so happy to hear your suggestion.

Thanks
    Annie

4. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Not recommending Spain, then, dumbers?

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

To live yes, work NEVER

yasf likes this.
  6. Mainwaring

Just as well. The Med's not tidal.

JL48 likes this.
  7. mollymillions

mollymillions New commenter

Off the top of my head; Bordeaux, Bali, Phuket, Lisbon all have surf and international schools.
    The IBO website lists schools that do the MYP and DP and show them as a map view. If you register with Search Associates (where a lot of people look for jobs), they also show their schools on a map.
    So you could spend some time and write a list of places near the coast and then cross reference with surf spots.

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  8. Mainwaring

El Salvador has wonderful surfing (for experts only) at La Libertad within an hour's drive of the good British and American schools in the Capital. My family felt quite safe there amidst the bullets and bombs of the civil war but things have become much more dangerous since, with droves of unemployed soldiers and guerrillas still toting hardware.

I began learning Spanish with a colleague who asked me in return to do some English conversation with her son Mario. I realised from our first interchange that it would be hard going:

MW: Mario, what are your interests. What do you really LIKE to do?
    Mario: Surfing.
    MW: Great! Where do you go to do that?

Very long pause.

Mario: The beach.

geckopoo and yasf like this.
  9. mrswallow

mrswallow Occasional commenter

'What are we doing?'
    'Waiting for the tide..'
    'That's the best news I've heard all year. The Med's not tidal..'

Spike Milligan "Hitler My Part In His Downfall" (I think... ) Certainly one in the series of his war memoirs. Possibly inaccurate as well, as I'm pretty sure the Med is tidal, just not very. Not much surf though.

10. Mainwaring

A touch of Godot there, I think.

11. mrswallow

mrswallow Occasional commenter

Probably. I'm familiar with the play, but I don't know it. I just know the quote from the less illustrious Mr Milligan. I wouldn't be surprised if he borrowed it from somewhere.

To the OP- we have some pretty cool surf spots here in NZ. Literally and figuratively. The stretch around the Catlins, past Invercargill and towards Riverton have a (apparently) global reputation.

12. Mainwaring

'I'm familiar with the play, but I don't know it. I just know the quote from the less illustrious Mr Milligan. I wouldn't be surprised if he borrowed it from somewhere.

I don't think Spike is necessarily inferior to Sam and of course you are right about borrowings. Kipling put it neatly:

When 'Omer smote 'is bloomin' lyre,
    [​IMG] He'd 'eard men sing by land an' sea;
    An' what he thought 'e might require,
    [​IMG] 'E went an' took - the same as me!

The market-girls an' fishermen,
    [​IMG] The shepherds an' the sailors, too,
    They 'eard old songs turn up again,
    [​IMG] But kep' it quiet - same as you!

They knew 'e stole; 'e knew they knowed.
    [​IMG] They didn't tell, nor make a fuss,
    But winked at 'Omer down the road,
    [​IMG] An' 'e winked back - the same as us!

13. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

It's not so much the ex-soldiers and guerillas these days Cap, its the Maras, the gangs, that make the place so unsafe, Although like you I survived my time there without seeing much of the guns and bullets. Although the drive back from La Libertad after sunset could be a bit hairy, as the Head of Secondary found out on one occasion!

14. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

This may be one of the most specific iteria for a job I've read yet! I would simply look for vacancies and cross-check with a map/the web.

I don't know much about this and could be totally wrong but I remember reading that islands like Hawaii, the south Pacific, the Atlantic ocean ones etc struggle to recruit teachers and I'd imagine there's some good surf to be found. Or, based purely on teenage viewing of home and away, Australia?