1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

International Schools in China

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Chris2511, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Hi, Iv been offered 24k including housing allowance, flights etc.... although when discussing this with other teachers iv been receiving mixed messages to whether it's good or bad.... Can anyone with experience of teaching at international Schools in China shed some light on expected salaries? Thanks

2. Hi, Iv been offered 24k including housing allowance, flights etc.... although when discussing this with other teachers iv been receiving mixed messages to whether it's good or bad.... Can anyone with experience of teaching at international Schools in China shed some light on expected salaries? Thanks

3. £2000 a month NET is fine if you get free accommodation too.

4. Yes in my eyes after paying tax, and accommodation out of £2,400 per month.... It's sounds more than enough, although is this an expected salary?

5. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

If the 24K rmb is net, then it is a good to very good salary. As a single person you should be able to live quite well on around 10K rmb in Beijing or Shanghai (or so I am told, I have a family and our bills run a little more than that). Even if it were gross, you would net 20K and be able to save half of that, so many people would still consider that good (depending on degree and years of experience).
    That salary is what the top paying British school in Beijing would start a teacher on, should they qualify for their maximum starting pay band. The 3 top paying schools in Beijing (who are not British) would start those teachers in the low to mid 30K's, with some paying taxes, some not.

6. Wrldtrvlr123.... Thank you for you honest advice. My friend actually posted a link on another forum, and I seen your input here also... Are you working in China now? If so, where? And how do you find it?

7. It seems Ok if you have a package. Make sure you have 'international insurance' too. Expat healthcare is VERY expensive in China (though for Chinese hospital can do a good job too on routine checks).
    Beijing is cheaper than Shanghai but it also depends where you decide to live. Accomodation in central Shanghai is expensive. That said, it's still cheaper than London or Manchester [​IMG]
    Oh, one last thing, social security tax are meant to kick in soon, technically it started back in October, but Chinese inland revenue hasn't figured a way to collect the money yet.

8. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

I was informed by by surgeon at BJU that my school was one of the few international schools in Beijing whose health insurance would cover anything at BJU. I thought myself very lucky when needing an appendectomy two weeks before the end of last term. Even luckier now that my only scar is a very thin 1/2CM red line. It may seem okay to check that you have health insurance, but make sure it covers the standard of health care you would want and expect.

You will find that 'international' apartments are vastly more expensive than middle class Chinese compounds. Far more impersonal too.

In regards to the package, is it INCLUDING all the extras or PLUS all the extras? This can make a big difference as the benefits and allowances package adds around an extra third to my total package value (not including health care and the new, unclaimable, social security benefits).

9. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

My pleasure. I have been in Beijing for two years. I quite like it. It has its quirks, but on the whole it is an exciting and surprisingly livable city in which to live and work. On the scale of my experience I would put it well ahead of Egypt and somewhat behind Japan.

10. It's great to hear positive feedback from a teacher, rather than negative moaning! Iv recently accepted a job offer in Qingdao, and it looks a beautiful place.... Excited about my new adventure!

11. I was offered a job in Qingdao for the same - I had an interview in Doncaster about two weeks ago. Is it the same school? If so, have you had your contract yet? I've looked into the city and I agree it looks like a great place. This is my first international placement so I'm hoping I will be able to cope with just a small expat community.

12. Sorry, going totally mad. I applied for a job in Qingdao but I was offered a job in Chengdu. It's been a long week! Anyone got any informationn/tips for Chengdu??