1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

International schools - CV and cover letter advice!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Peanut123, Aug 2, 2011.

1. A few questions regarding CVs and cover letters.
    CV
    Is two pages the maximum?
    How many references should be included?
    Can you use deputy and headteacher as a reference from the same school?
    Should you include all courses or relevant courses which have impacted on teaching?
    Should I include Welsh courses which show that I can teach a <u>second</u> language?
    Cover letter
    How long should a cover letter be? (half A4 sheet?)
    Should it be addressed to the Headteacher or human resources department?
    Should a personal statement be used here instead of on the CV?
    Should I mention partner qualifications (non-married) who would be hopefully travelling with me?
    Does partner count as dependent?
    Do schools actually hire people who send CV directly or are recruitment agencies the way to go?
    Any answers would be appreciated.

2. A few questions regarding CVs and cover letters.
    CV
    Is two pages the maximum?
    How many references should be included?
    Can you use deputy and headteacher as a reference from the same school?
    Should you include all courses or relevant courses which have impacted on teaching?
    Should I include Welsh courses which show that I can teach a <u>second</u> language?
    Cover letter
    How long should a cover letter be? (half A4 sheet?)
    Should it be addressed to the Headteacher or human resources department?
    Should a personal statement be used here instead of on the CV?
    Should I mention partner qualifications (non-married) who would be hopefully travelling with me?
    Does partner count as dependent?
    Do schools actually hire people who send CV directly or are recruitment agencies the way to go?
    Any answers would be appreciated.

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

It used to be, but some people say otherwise. I personally stick to 2.
    However many are requested.
    Sure. However I would rather see something from the Head ( must be included ) and a HoD. Unless you are the HoD.
    It depends. I wouldn't go as far as including the grade 3 swimming course that you did as an 8 year old but I would include the course on new coursework requirements for the IB.
    Well, outside the principality, Welsh is going to be very difficult to find. I would be more interested in someone who used it to show that they could successfully teach kids for whom English was not a first language.
    Cover letter
    One side of A4 is the norm and not in miniscule font either.
    Headteacher is the norm unless otherwise requested.
    Depends on what is required. Some flavour of your personal teaching philosophy should definitely be on the letter.
    Why? Are you also applying for a job for them?
    Are they living with you and expecting you to pay for things? If so, I would presume so.
    Both work, but speculative applications are a bit hit and very largely miss.

Be aware that some countries would not count a partner who is not married to you as eligible for a residence permit. Some countries wouldn't even allow them to be your partner. If you wish to go to the Middle East or some Muslim countries in Asia, and take your partner with you, give serious thoughts to getting married.

4. PuRe

PuRe New commenter

5. Oh. From the exclamation mark, I thought you were offering advice.

6. No just needed answers and a big thanks to Karvol. Cheers.