1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

international school- spain

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Lucylu099, Jul 29, 2011.

  1. Hey :)
    Is anyone working in an international school this year?[​IMG]
  2. Wowie, are you enjoying it? what areas shall I avoid haha :)
  3. I have just received an offer but they have asked for accomodation and visa money from me in advance. What should I do - in your experience with International Schools in Spain is this normal? Thank you.
  4. Absolutely not normal in my experience! Where are you coming from? Usually for people who are travelling from far away they will cover the cost of accomodation for at least a short time until they have helped you to find somewhere. If you are more local, you are more likely to be left to fend for yourself a bit more. Which area are you going to?
  5. missmunchie

    missmunchie New commenter

    No I don't think this is normal, I wouldn't send them any money.
    I went to Spain 10 years ago and had my accomodation paid for for the first month as well as the deposit on an apartment which I returned to the school. I paid for my own flights and these were not reimbursed, but I got a cheap one way flight from EasyJet.
    There is no visa to sort out as far as I know if you are a citizen of an EU country.
    Before I got a job at this school I was interviewed in London for a Spanish island school and was told my travel costs (from Scotland) would be refunded. They never were so I lost almost 100 pounds.
    Can you give us a clue as to which school area, without naming the actual school?
  6. David Getling

    David Getling Senior commenter

    There are plenty who will jump down my throat if I'm wrong, but this sounds REALLY BAD.

    If you are not an EU citizen and there are visa costs then the school should be paying them. In fact, many schools specify EU citizenship in order to save themselves a lot of hassle: and there are no shortage of Brits willing to work in Spain. Also, a reputable (and even some less reputable) school will probably give you some free accommodation initially.
  7. There is no visa as long as you are a member of a European Union country (I.E have a passport from a full European Union country). It&acute;s all covered under European Law under the freedom of movement act (can&acute;t remember the exact title) . You can check all of your rights as well as loads of other stuff on the website <u>europa.eu</u> (The European Union Website).
    You&acute;ll almost definately find the Spanish very helpful on this (although Spanish red tape is a pain in the butt sometimes). When you arrive it&acute;s worth declaring you are a resident (by going to the Oficina de Extranjero&acute;s or the police office) and registering with the Ayuntemiento (which is the town hall). The you can get your social security number and your SIP, medical card. It goes something like this
    1) Go to the Oficina de Extranjero&acute;s for your municipio (Area) with your passport, they will give you a form to fill in http://www.mir.es/SGACAVT/modelos/extranjeria/modelos_extranje/ex_16.pdf
    this is the site for the form you&acute;ll need or they will have it in the oficina. Take this and then they will stamp it for you. <u>You&acute;ll need to take a copy of your passport and this form!</u>
    2) They will ask you to pay in the local bank a sum of about 10 euros (they give you the form), once you&acute;ve paid that you go back to the office with the reciept and they will tell you to come back (I waited 2 weeks for the certificado de residencia). They will also either give you there and then, or with the certificate your N.I.E (Numero de extranjeros) lots of people including banks will ask for this, so it&acute;s handy to have a copy of this certificate at all times.
    3) Once you&acute;ve got you Certificate, and proof of address (usually a rental agreement or lease thingy) you go to your local town hall (ayuntemiento, I think that&acute;s how it&acute;s spelt :D). Show them both these forms and they will give you your empadrondiamiento, which is that you&acute;ve registered with the town hall.
    4) Take both the empadron and the Certificado de residencia down to the oficina de seguridad social and they will then issue you with a Social Security number.
    5) Take all of these and go to the local clinic (the Centro Medico) and they will issue you with a SIP card which is your medical card which allows you to get health care in Spain.

    Your close family also have the right to residency, even if they are non eu citizens, they gain this right through you. For information on this and who is close family it&acute;s best to look at the europa.eu site... it&acute;s also got loads of info on pesions and stuff. For unemplyment you need to be paying into the system for at least a year I think, and also the rules are different if you are self employed.
    Hope all this helps, I&acute;m 99% sure I&acute;ve covered it all and sorry for the spelling mistakes.
    Good Luck

  8. Hi Can I ask you guys how you went about applying to International Schools? I am doing my NQT year at the moment but really want to get away next year and Spain is my first choice. I see TES jobs have quite a lot of jobs in Spain normally but I was just wondering if anyone had any helpful tips about applying. Thanks!! C
  9. Hi,
    I was just wondering if any of you guys had any helpful hints about how to apply to International Schools in Spain. I am currently doing my NQT year in Scotland but really want to get away next year and Spain is my first choice. Any guidance would be much appreciated. thanks!! C
  10. 576

    576 Established commenter

  11. missmunchie

    missmunchie New commenter

    Hi Clairey5
    I applied to lots of schools in Spain, France and Italy. Although Spain wasn't my first choice that was where I ended up. I checked TES jobs every Friday online and sent off my CV to schools in countries where I wanted to travel to.
    My friend finished her NQT year in Scotland and is now teaching in Italy. Just keep applying and you will get there eventually. If you have experience teaching Higher or Advanced Higher be sure to mention that this is the Scottish equivalent of A2 and AS level.
    If you want specific info on Schools in the Costa del Sol area of Spain send me a PM.
    Good luck and best wishes!
  12. serverservant

    serverservant New commenter


    Best advice youll ever get.
  13. David Getling

    David Getling Senior commenter

    Don't want to waste your time with a PM, for something that probably won't happen, but is the one I'm thinking of just an ugly duckling?
  14. missmunchie

    missmunchie New commenter

    I'm not working at the moment although I still live in the Costa del Sol.
    I haven't worked at the white bird school, although I was offered a job there once.

Share This Page