1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

International school RQT

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Ali3robbo, Dec 25, 2016.

?

is it too early to ask my current school for a reference?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Ali3robbo

Ali3robbo New commenter

Hi,

I'm currently doing my NQT year in a british school and am enjoying it (mainly). However I know I would like at some point to move into special education and also teach in international schools. It seems like it would make the most sense to teach internationally before moving into special.
    I'm just wondering
    a) what would be the best way to broach the subject of moving schools with my current school's SLT team so early on in the year (as I have just one term of my NQT year completed)?
    b) is it possible that stating my desire to leave my current school could damage my completion of my NQT year? Currently my NQT mentor is grading my lessons in the RI bracket though she has been encouraging in the amount I have improved between autumn 1 half term and autumn 2 half term.
    Finally would it make more sense just to wait until I have a few good years of teaching under my belt to secure a job at a better international school?

Thanks

2. scott1980

scott1980 Occasional commenter

I would wait till you have done at least two terms.Why do you want to do special ed? Im in this sector but its very different.I can understand wanting to teach abroad and know someone who did this.I would also be concerened about getting RI.you need to focus on passing this year.Something Ive told another colleague of mine.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If you want to leave and teach abroad next September, you will need to start looking now.
    The best schools are already advertising and appointing.

Lots of teachers like to go abroad, especially when younger, so it really should be a problem for your current school. I would say go as soon as you can secure a post. The longer you stay, the more settled you'll get and then you'll never go. Some schools like you to have a couple of years experience first, so look carefully.

Just go and chat to your head and say that much as you are enjoying teaching in their school, you would like to teach abroad for a few years and will be applying for next September posts. Ask if they will write you a reference, they will almost certainly say yes. Lots of staff will be having similar conversations with their head in the next couple of weeks, it is no big deal.

Wanting to teach abroad won't affect your passing or failing.

4. clovispoint

clovispoint Occasional commenter

You will find any good international school is likely to prefer candidates with a minimum of two years of post-qualification experience. It is possible to get a job immediately but you will do better if you are more experienced. Most jobs are advertised late November, and early December but there will be more to come in January. Job fairs are the easier way to meet a lot of school admin and secure a job. Look on the overseas teaching forum for more advice.