1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

International School Packages and Benefits

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Twinkletoestoes, Nov 7, 2017.

1. swsimp160

swsimp160 Occasional commenter

Anyone any idea what would be a good package for Bahrain? I had a very frustrating experience with school in Bahrain. Applied for a job in TES which didn't seem to exist and was just a recruitment company who took my details and put me up for Bahrain job. First interview with head of department was great. Then offered job by head £2400 a month plus £850 accommodation. Now that is less than I get in UK as there was no pension or state pension. Is this pay as bad as it seems? (22 years teaching, Maths/Chemistry and IB trained). Do heads really expect teachers to move to ME for less than UK or are they just chancers hoping to get you cheap?

2. gmcgrath89

gmcgrath89 New commenter

Can anyone help me become a bit clearer? There are so many responses that all differ that I’m losing track.

Myself and my partner are relocating to Singapore. I’m a fairly new teacher - 2 years experience with around 10 years as a teaching assistant. Would I struggle to get a job? Also can anybody give me an idea what a salary would be?

3. 576

576 Established commenter

You have to consider the cost of living. It's lower in Bahrain than in the UK so your money goes further.

4. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

If you haven't secured a job for August then it's likely you will not find a position at an international school in Singapore for this coming school year. It's worth contacting schools to say that you are moving there and looking for work. You might find some supply work. In some countries if you are recruited while in country, you are considered to be a local hire and therefore do not get any benefits (no housing, flights home, medical insurance etc). I don't know if schools in Singapore do this but it's something to bear in mind. Packages will vary (if you're entitled to them) because every school is different. You're unlikely to get a clear cut answer on this. Sorry!

5. gmcgrath89

gmcgrath89 New commenter

Thank you for your response. It’s all so crazy and very unexpected! I have a job in the UK at the moment anyway so I would have to stay in the UK for a while until I was able to fly out. Luckily my dad is out there as well so makes the moving process a little less scary!

6. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Just putting it into a little perspective, Singapore is one of, if not the most competitive places on the planet to get international jobs. Its not impossible, but dont think its going to be easy. You might be lucky if they can hire you as a "local" and the schools can save themselves a tonne of money, but obviously you will lose all the benefits that expats enjoy.

Best of luck

7. gmcgrath89

gmcgrath89 New commenter

This is my worry. My partner has been offered a job out there and I’m worried that I’m going to follow without being able to get a job which I obviously don’t want. I would love to line and work in Singapore as I know it very well - my dad has lived there for 8 years. However, I don’t want to go and find out I can’t get a job or a job in teaching.

8. ejclibrarian

Pardon the personal question but are you and your partner married? You won't be able to stay long term there without a job if you aren't. My advice would be to contact all the international schools, tell them you are coming out with your partner, and say you are looking for work. Send them your CV. If you're happy to do supply work that could be a good foot in the door.

9. gmcgrath89

gmcgrath89 New commenter

Hi sorry for the late reply, it’s been a crazy couple of months. No we aren’t married but are engaged. I’ve had two interviews (not heard back yet) and got 3 more lined up all for January starts. I’m hoping I can get a job if not it’ll be a registry office job before we go haha and supply at one school that have offered it me until either they have a job or I get a job. I’m hoping that something will come from one of these.

ejclibrarian likes this.
  10. ejclibrarian

Well that's good news that one has offered you supply work. Sounds like you've done well so far at getting interviews. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

11. gmcgrath89

gmcgrath89 New commenter

Thank you very much. Please do! It would make my life much easier if I managed to get a job. Fingers crossed