1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

International School Packages and Benefits

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Twinkletoestoes, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Twinkletoestoes

Twinkletoestoes New commenter

Afternoon all,

We are looking at international school positions and would like to understand the range of packages better for a head of year position. Would you mind sending me information if you have it including:

- pay in relation to UK pay scales
    - health insurance (included or not)
    - school fees for children (free, contribution required or full fees required)
    - Annual flights
    - Relocation amount
    - Repatriation at end of contract

Thanks in advance as it's so hard to find this information!

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

Dont assume you would automatically get a head of year position. International teaching is very different to back home. With no international experience it can be difficult to start with a role of responsibility.

- pay in relation to UK pay scales
    It will range from similar, to a LOT LOT LOT more. It really depends on where you go. On average, most international schools you will earn more than you would in the UK. Uk teachers really dont get paid very well

- health insurance (included or not)
    Again, it depends. Most "packages" are available outside of western europe, this would include all of these things. Any decent school will provide you and ALL your dependants with free worldwide private medical cover (except USA).

- school fees for children (free, contribution required or full fees required)
    Again depends, but most schools will provide 2 free places for staff members, more if you are a couple.

- Annual flights
    Outside of western europe yes, for you and all your dependants.

- Relocation amount
    You may have guest, but it depends. Decent schools will cover your costs for you and all your dependants to get there.

- Repatriation at end of contract
    Yes...see above

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    Twinkletoestoes likes this.
  3. dumbbells66

Here is an example from China. this is a school in Beijing, and its for a classroom teacher and after tax. the "masters" thing is an American masters, and therefore if you have a PGCE its the same thing.
    Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 6.03.24 PM.png

plus:

Relocation Allowance
    House set‐up allowance
    Local Moving allowance
    housing allowance of: Singles: RMB 14,500/month Couples: RMB 19,200/month Per child: RMB 1,200/month
    Home Leave Air Transportation Allowance
    Start and End of Contract Mobilization & Repatriation
    Shipping / Storage allowance: RMB 21,760 incoming per tecaher + RMB 6,400 incoming per dependent, upto 3 RMB 21,760 outgoing per Teacher RMB 6,400 outgoing per dependent upto 3 dependants.
    worldwide Medical/Dental/Evacuation Insurance provided for all dependants.

plus many many many more things.....

in my experience this is pretty average for an IB school, especially when it comes to the benefits package. i can not say the same for British curriculum schools as i have never worked for one.

hope this helps

4. dumbbells66

To earn that starting salary as a basic classroom teacher you would have to earn the equivalent of around £64 000 back in the UK. Thats only taking the salary into account and is without counting all the extras you get as part of a "package" as an international school teacher.

5. okmohito

okmohito New commenter

Those are GROSS salaries. Tax is a LOT in china. 25% base rate after your basic allowance. Also this must be a place in central shanghai with the cost of housing they have quoted. Outside of Sh or anywhere near HK, rents are a lot cheaper in China.

6. masty88

masty88 New commenter

Are free flights generally economy class? Wouldn't have any impact on my decision, just asking out of interest...

7. tiler

tiler New commenter

This salary package is for a school with one of the best reputations in the world. I wouldn't say the salary or benefits are average for an IB school, but rather in the top 5-10%.

8. dumbbells66

From my experience yes. Its the cheapest flight to and from the nearest intetnational airport closest to your home of record. This doesnt mean you have to fly to London ir you live in the north east of England, but to the closest international airport to your home town.

9. dumbbells66

Perhaps i didnt make that clear. What i meant was, what was covered in the "package" was average, not neccessarily the salary scale. Although from my experience around $40 000 take home would be about average.

10. StrangePanda

StrangePanda New commenter

Perhaps the other thread on savings might also help?

11. 576

576 Occasional commenter

we get an allowance for this and it is based on economy but last year when they sent the email with the allowance, I knew the BA sale was on so I swooped in and did premium economy both ways and it only cost me about £50 more than the allowance.

12. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Established commenter

Regarding the position - head of year is not something that comes up very often. It's usually recruited from within or maybe it doesn't exist at all (specifically as a head of year). You are far better concentrating on your subject

Twinkletoestoes and dumbbells66 like this.
  13. dumbbells66

Read it again Musikteech or @okmohito.... just because you dont know that these schools exist, doesn't mean they aren't real. Yes, its in the middle of Beijing, and NO its a tax free salary.

14. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

25% is "a LOT"? Compared to nothing (like some places in the ME or where the school covers your tax), sure. Compared to Singapore, yes, higher but not outrageous. Compared to Western Europe? Compared to the UK (which is what the OP is asking)? Is it really a LOT?