1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

International School of the year award goes to......

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by grdwdgrrrl, Jan 22, 2020.

1. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

International School of the Year 2020

The International School of the Year 2020 was awarded to St Andrews International School Bangkok (Primary School), Thailand for its exceptionally powerful environmental initiative. The school's 'Eco beasts' initiative is bringing about collective and sustainable change through action plans led by students that address a range of environmental challenges. Based on the success of the early initiative, the school now employs two environmental sustainability coordinators who, along with a dedicated website which provides downloadable resources, and a community action day, have supported the growth of this initiative beyond the school to now include 17 local schools and 14 local sustainability organisations.

Head of Key Stage Two at St Andrew's International School, Geoff Magee received the International School of the Year 2020 trophy from the Right Honourable Lord Jim Knight of Weymouth and Chief Education and External Office at TES Global.

ToK-tastic likes this.
  2. Oli_K

Oli_K New commenter

o_O Not even part of the make believe tier one group.

Seriously though, would love to know the criteria and how its judged, is every school in the world entered?

I've been to the school and have friends work there and it's a decent school, but there are certainly better schools in Bangkok never mind the world.

3. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

I have no idea. I know people who work there too. Their criteria isn’t the same as ours.

4. ToK-tastic

ToK-tastic New commenter

I don't know much about the award, but from what the OP cited it seems to be given for Service Learning projects. STA's project sounds very impressive, bringing in 17 local schools and 14 local sustainability organisations. I don't know of many (any?) school based Service projects that have achieved such a reach in Asia. I know of school-based projects that have drawn a lot of donations from other schools, and non-school initiated projects that have many school affiliates, but STA's project sounds impressive, it's student led.

Well done STA !

grdwdgrrrl likes this.